EuroRack case and power supply options

Our modules are compatible with the same EuroRack cases, and power supplies used for audio synthesizers, though they draw slightly more power on average than audio modules. A good budget for your EuroRack power supply is 10 mA per HP unit width of your case, per +/-12V power rails. Additionally(and maybe most importantly), having a clean, low-noise power solution can greatly improve your experience as high frequency noise or voltage ripple can become visibly represented in your video composition.

This is a list of case and power configurations which we either personally tested here in the LZX workshop or have received positive field reports about from one of our trusted system owners. These options provide enough power for a video synthesis focused system and do not exhibit issues with high frequency noise or signal bleed. This is only a small sample of feasible options, so please do not feel limited to the options listed here. If you are a case manufacturer and would like to be included in this list, please contact us with details.

LZX Vessel
Vessel is our direct answer to addressing the needs of our community providing a performance fit and finish that works for video and audio systems alike.

Doepfer A-100LC6 / A-100P6 w/Doepfer A-100PSU3
MSRP: $390-$530 USD (Unfinished, finished and suitcase/travel options)
HP Width: 6Ux 84HP (168HP Total)
Power Supply: Doepfer A-100 PSU3

These classic low-cost EuroRack case options have recently been upgraded with Doepfer’s new A-100PSU3 power supply. Earlier versions of this case offered less power and were not as suited for video synthesis systems. Doepfer also offers a 9U version of this case with the same power supply, which we do not recommend. The Doepfer A-100PSU3 is suitable for 6U of video modules, but a full 9U case with would quickly exceed the power specifications. Doepfer also offers the A-100P6 with PSU3, which is a flight/travel case variation that offers the same size and power specifications for a higher price. Purchase from Analogue Haven (USA) or Thomann (Germany).

MDLRCASE 6U/84 HP Studio Case w/Doepfer A-100PSU3
MSRP: $425.75 USD
HP Width: 6Ux 84HP (168HP Total)
Power Supply: Doepfer A-100 PSU3

MDLRCASE make several attractive suitcase and studio case configurations with the Doepfer A-100PSU3 as an installation option. Purchase from MDRLCASE (Netherlands).

Bespoke Cases from Goike & Lamond Design
MSRP: Variable
HP Width: Variable

Goike and Lamond Design are companies who build bespoke wood EuroRack cases to a customer’s specifications. If you contact either of these companies and point them back to this page, they can assist you with power supply recommendations for your case design of choice. Purchase from Goike (US) or Lamond Design (UK).

Eurorack Power Supply Recommendations for DIY Installation
Many of you like to build DIY cases, either to save costs or to meet your own studio/travel needs. Or maybe you are commissioning a case builder to design a custom solution for you. This is a list of EuroRack power supplies available as OEM options for custom installations which we recommend for use in video synthesis systems. Please follow all instructions and safety precautions provided by the manufacturers of these power supplies during installation.

Malekko Power
MSRP: $229 USD
+12V Supply Maximum: 1600mA (1.6 A)
-12V Supply Maximum: 1600mA (1.6 A)
+5V Supply Maximum: 1000mA (1 A)

We’re biased on this option, since we assisted Malekko Heavy Industry in its design. It is an integrated power/busboard option for 6U systems, and has a switching-to-linear regulation topology that ensures clean, no issues power. Purchase from Malekko (USA).

Zeus Studio Bus

MSRP: $122 USD
+12V Supply Maximum: 1250mA (1.3 A)
-12V Supply Maximum: 800mA (0.8 A)
+5V Supply Maximum: 300mA (0.3 A)

Doepfer A-100PSU3

MSRP: $170 USD
+12V Supply Maximum: 2000mA (2 A)
-12V Supply Maximum: 1200mA (1.2 A)
+5V Supply Maximum: 2000mA (2 A)

We’ve heard nothing but good things about the performance of Doepfer’s latest A-100PSU3 supply. You will also need passive power distribution boards such as the Doepfer A-100BUS to connect this power supply to. Purchase from Analogue Haven (USA) or Thomann (Germany).

Bel Power Linear Supplies
MSRP: $79.15-$143.36 USD
+12V Supply Maximum: 1700mA – 3400mA (1.7 A – 3.4 A)
-12V Supply Maximum: 1700mA – 3400mA (1.7 A – 3.4 A)

These standard OEM linear power supplies come in several brands (Power One, etc.) and are readily available from electronic component suppliers such as Mouser. These supplies are bulky and require the most work to install into a EuroRack case, but cannot be beaten in terms of performance and reliability. The two model numbers recommended above would be suited for 6U 84HP or 12U 84HP respectively. Recommended for DIYers with more advanced electronics skills. Purchase from Mouser (USA).

5 Likes

There are a few things to consider when getting a power supply for a Eurorack video synthesizer. Power supply noise is more of an issue with video than it is with audio. Some switching supplies will produce noise that is not audible, but can be visible, manifesting itself as unstable periodic lines. A linear power supply won’t have the same high frequency noise as a switching supply, but they are heavier as they use transformers.

A list of recommended power supplies can be found here

Other available power supplies might be suitable for video, but the ones listed in the link above are ones that LZX has tested and found to work well with low noise.When choosing a power supply you have to consider the size of the system you already have, or the size you want to have. The general rule for LZX modules is that for every 1HP there will be 10mA consumption per rail. Power suppliers have different output current ratings for each rail. So for example, for an 84HP system consumption should be around 840mA. This is not a hard rule, and some modules may consume more or less mA per HP. All of the current consumption specifications are on each modules individual product page. It’s good practice to allow for some headroom on your PSU, something like 15% should be good, preventing the PSU from being worked too hard, as performance decreases as the power supply comes under more load. So for a theoretical 84HP system a 1000mA PSU should be sufficient (but please tally all actual current consumption specs for the individual modules to be in the system). Remember to check the per rail specifications of the module consumption and output power supply.

Some LZX modules need to be on the same power buss as the sync generator to function properly, such as the Castle VCO. These modules take their sync signals from the power buss so if they are being used in your system remember to put them on the same buss as the sync source.

If you keep these considerations in mind you can achieve a low noise power scheme for your video synth system.

Admin note: Original post by Phil Baljeu on the former LZX Knowledgebase

3 Likes

Is the rating for the Zeus studio bus here correct? The manual, and other sites, claim the maximal current per bus board is 1250mA at 12V, 800mA at -12V and 300mA at 5V.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I’ve edited the original post.

1 Like

@creatorlars
Are you aware of any usage of the L-1 power supply from Alex? I’ve read it’s one of the quietest but haven’t seen any comments online with video modules (unless i’ve completely missed it)

1 Like

For anyone who found this thread first, I found this other thread super useful for more messy detailed discussion of various other modules:

2 Likes

thanks for all this info everyone, i’m still stuck tho if you have time to help?
i’ve been using a MDLR case so far with 2 x Meanwell RT 65b’s installed (each has output current rating of 5A at 5VDC, 2.8A at 12VDC and 0.5A at -12VDC).
it seems to work ok, although my curtain did start getting a bit fuzzy recently, perhaps that’s related?
in any case, i’d like to expand my lzx system. modular grid tells me it could end up:
Power Consumption: 2483 mA +12V | 2168 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V |
I suspect I’m rinsing the meanwells too much as it is (currently, system Power Consumption: 1845 mA +12V | 1755 mA -12V | 0 mA 5V - each Meanwell only has 0.5A at -12VDC; although my system works; I don’t understand how/electronics ;). Please could you tell me if I should be able to swap them out for something superior, or add another, or what?
I really want my system in 3 rows so I’d like to stick with the case I have if poss.
I think there’s a feature on the Meanwell that protects the other modules if one gets installed incorrectly and I think this has saved my bacon a couple of times so if this is right, that’s be another feature I’d like.
so many things to learn and jump over getting to grips with all the aspects of this- but it’s lots of fun!
thanks all and best wishes

1 Like

From everything I’ve read about the Meanwell RT65B, since they get mentioned a lot on Muffwiggler, group consensus is they work… and that’s about it for the positives. They aren’t great, and I’d definitely avoid them for video!
Unfortunately I learnt this after buying a case that is powered by them :unamused: but that case will be for audio only.

I don’t have a supply to recommend, sorry - but it’s worth noting that changing them out will involve handling mains power wiring, something you want to be knowledgeable of and comfortable with.

3 Likes

Depth of cases is extremely important when considering modules from third party vendors and the Cadet series. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Doepfer is the most commonly used case for Cadets. DIY cases are also pretty common. You can also put TipTop Happy Ending rails with the rack ears into a flight case of the desired depth.

1 Like

I’m confused about the similarity (or lack thereof) of different products from a manufacturer.

I bought the Tiptop Mantis thinking the power supply was the same as the Zeus Studio Bus. But I think I read it isn’t exactly the same?

And Doepfer? Is the PS included with the A-100 DIY Eurorack Case Kit good enough compared to the A-100PSU3?

Aaaand is this even a critical question for me? My rack (eventually) will be mostly new modules.My dicky Eurorack - Eurorack Modular System from prakodr on ModularGrid

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about the TipTop system. Someone else should chime in on that.

If you’re thinking DIY route, maybe start with a PSU3, and build around it. From all indications, future modules will be able to run off the 5V rail. The PSU3 has 4A of available current. With 2A on both of the 12V rails, you will have ample headroom for your modules. You could add header boards as required, or more PSU3s if you are thinking of building a case out of something exotic.

If you opt to purchase the kit with the smaller power supply, you could supplement it with the LZX auxiliary power module that is planned to be released along with the TBC2. Whichever way you go, having added power supply headroom will make your system more reliable.

1 Like

Does anyone here have experience using the Konstant Lab PSU and filtered busboard? They also have a linear PSU with an IEC connector.

2 Likes

@LZX
I need a solution for a large case 15u 120hp
What are my options?
Most of the information in the original post is outdated and offers no recommendations for larger systems let alone new products.
I bought two vessel cases hoping to buy another 2 in the future but now I need to find a long term solution outside their products as you cannot expect them to remain in production past pre order.
Just tell me how to power 19u so I can give you more money.
Hinton power supplies?

1 Like

You can still get the Doepfer PSU3.

Or TipTop Studio Buses. Though you’ll need a lot of them since they’re a bit low power.

It’s really too bad the Malekko boards appear to be extinct though. I wonder if they could be open sourced and/or the design adapted for DIY-ability?

Came across this nugget while searching for info on my own power needs recently. Totally overkill for me, but might be relevant to your large case:

2 Likes

I just upgraded my system with a mdlr 85w powered bus board which is about 4A on +12 and 2.5A on -12. I believe its 40 headers total. pretty solid options and quick responses from adrian at mdlr when I had questions.

2 Likes

Is the Malekko PSU still available? I can’t find a UK shop that still sells it. They all seem to be out-of-stock.

I have a frap tools Uno 3x 3u 84 hp, powered by 3 Zeus Studio Buses. Works pretty good

No noise in the video output?