uZeus Power Supply

Hi guys just starting building my cadets now. I have not bought any PSU yet. But I have a uZeus lying around. Anyone has information if that could work with the cadets? Does it introduce some noise?
Thanks. coming from Eurorack I don’t really know much about video PSUs.

1 Like

TL;DR A PSU module will be too noisy for video.

1 Like

My advice is try it and see what you think, but be aware that it’s not one of the recommended power supplies so if you see any issues it might be the cause. I’m using a power supply that some people here have said is too noisy for video, but it seems to be working just fine for me and my mostly-Cadet system. The uZeus might be good enough for you, or it might be OK enough at first until you get a better one, or you might see lots of noise right from the beginning and realize you need something else. Either way it shouldn’t damage anything, so it’s worth a shot.

4 Likes

Thanks! Where can I find a list of the suggested and testes PSU so I can in case purchase one?

in the library here

as linked to by nerdware, above

1 Like

Great thanks so much!

1 Like

i run my rack with 2 uzeus modules and one doepfer low budget power suply… so far it works good,and theres nothig that annoys me, but im not that picky either. you can run the u zeus with different power transformaters , so if you pick a good and stable one it should work well.

2 Likes

Perfect that’s great news!!!

1 Like

Tiptop makes available a uZeus Boost adapter that double the capacity of the +12V rail up to 2,000mA.

uZeus boost adapter

Do you think it will address the noise induced problem that some experience with the uZeus power supply?

Anybody has looked at the Behringer CP1A power supply that distributes 35W of DC at +5 VDC, -12VDC, and +12VDC?

This DC power brick might be slightly better specs but the problem still comes down to the inherently noisy switching design in the uZeus. I’ve used this exact DC brick and a uZeus before when I started my system and it had unacceptable levels of noise and oscillations visually present on the output.

Tiptop’s Studio Bus PSUs are pretty good for video synthesis, though.

I don’t see any notes about its ripple under load which is really the spec you’re looking for. Considering it typically takes extra R&D to create a low ripple supply under load, it’s usually published if it’s exceptionally good.

Also, I personally wouldn’t want to support Behringer due to their arguably shady business practices (see the past few years of synth clones) but I’ll leave that up to you to decide if it bothers you.

3 Likes

Thank you Rempesm for the great info :pray:

(I am with you on Behringer, and I had only bad experience with their few substandard studio equipments that I bought in the past)

1 Like

Re: the behringer power supply, it’s highly unlikely to be suitable for video, I think. As Rempesm mentioned, a manufacturer needs to put extra effort into making it have low ripple, and extra effort to make better than necessary products isn’t exactly what behringer is known for. Also, behringer is making the power supply for audio modules, and audio modules generally don’t care about video-rate frequency ripples since that’s well beyond human hearing. So even if they put extra effort into making their power supply have low ripple, they probably wouldn’t consider video rate ripple a priority.

1 Like

it would be interesting to see what the psu in the go case is like though as that is a clone of the one in the mantis - which is effectively the studio bus - the mantis works well for me

I also get decent results with a befaco excalibus power supply

1 Like