Visual cortex recording problems

Hey community,
i dont know why but my visual cortex is somehow doing a flimmering…
I dont know what there is wrong, i think i tried all the setting options in the “Desktop Video Setup” and “Black Magic Media Express” programs (setup+recording programs for the intesity shuttle)…
for testing i only had the visual cortex in the case and the patch is the h-v output in the key generator input. from the cortex with YPbPr in the intensity shuttle.
Maybe someone had the same issues? Or can help me with the correct settings for the programs? Thanks in advance

And my other problem:
i recorded a video with my black intesity shuttle. During recording everything looked fine, then after when i playback the recorded file with quicktime or vlc, there are from nowhere horizontal lines in the video. then i uploaded it on vimeo, and the line are gone…
can someone explain or help me why quicktime and vimeo are making those lines? and does someone have general recording tips with YPbPr output from visual cortex into the blackmagic intesity shuttle (in terms of setting in the black magic programs)?
thanks in advance!

here the vimeo video: https://vimeo.com/346699606
screenshot from quicktime and vlc:

That’s a beautiful patch in the Vimeo link.
What case/power supply are you using for the videos showing the “flimmering”?

1 Like

thank you!
im using this one:

there is your problem
meanwell rt65 is is very noisy PSU, not suitable for video.

I had the same problem in my case. switched it out for a Doepfer one.

The lines you see on the Vimeo video are interlacing.
You need to de-interlace and all will be well.
You can do this in any video editing program. I use the opensource + free software called VirtualDub

1 Like

thank you!! the deinterlace tipp worked! and im going to change my power supply! thank you!

you can check the PSU thread for suitable brands:

1 Like

Ok so now i replaced my meanwell rt65 with a doepfer psu3 incl. new rails. But i still have this noise going on. But only on keyed images. When i use the key generator from visual cortex but also when i use the stencil output from the shapechanger… Main Output is always the visual cortex using the YPbPr.
Could it be connected with a grounding problem with the psu?

Hey Tim! Can we see some captured screenshots or clips after changing the power supply? Some edge fuzz is going to be contextual in an analog system. In the first post I definitely see some power supply noise problems. I just want to see if what you’re seeing now falls into the expected range of performance, and if not, try to characterize it to find the issue.

This is a very long shot, but I’m noticing in the photo of your previous setup that the GND wire is green/yellow – does this indicate that it was connected to mains earth/PE somewhere? If so, is the wiring configured like that with your new PSU as well? You’ll want DC ground separated from PE, otherwise all bets are off.

Just making sure – I’m not insinuating that the colour of the wire insulation matters in itself, and I am guilty of having used scrap GnYe wires for non-PE purposes before myself. (Don’t tell anyone)

1 Like

With hard keys I’ve noticed that I have to be extra careful to avoid introducing noise into the keyer input. I figure this is since VC and Cadet VII keyers (unfortunately I have no experience with Doorway, I’m sure it’s similar at high gain) use high bandwidth signal paths, and their sensitivity to horizontal detail means they’re also sensitive to noise. This has some pretty interesting applications where you deliberately “balance” the keyer threshold at some transitional value to get its output to swing back and forth rapidly in some parts of the screen. In my Vessel I can get some jagged edges with just patching a VC ramp straight to the VC keyer, which gets more noticeable for longer patch cables, and is even variable from pinching the cable between my fingers! A touch controller :slight_smile:

1 Like

the black square is the h+v from the visual cortex direct in his key generator…
about the gnd wiring:
the gnd from the IEC inlet goes direct to one of the busboards, and from there to the psu and then to the other busboard.
thanks for the help guys!!

1 Like