Cases / Power / Portability

Might be worth it to find someone who can do it for you, then. It’s a simple enough task that anyone who owns a drill can probably manage it, so no need to draw a professional into it unless you really want. Just ask a friend.

Would folks like to share their experiences with wider cases - 126hp or 140hp? It seems the 10mA per 1hp rule means power per row gets trickier (or at least expensive) at these widths, as 1260 or 1400 per row means one PSU per row? What solutions have people found work for them here?

Could you please share more info on your setup?

Malekko has been out of stock for a while and the genusmodu stuff looks like a good alternative to it but i couldn’t find as many people using it. Using the Row Power 40 would also help with the fact that I wouldn’t have to create holes for the power supply in the case as it would power from the front. Do you feel that it provides enough power for your system? I’m going for a 6U 104HP and +12V @ 1.5A, -12V @ 1.3A, +5V @ 1.5A might not be enough.

you may be okay with that
but, it’s not just about is there enough power - is it clean enough too - most eurorack psus are fine for audio, but a lot have issues with really high frequency noise, which can affect video - this is why the latest modules (at least topogram and chromagnon) have on board power conditioning - so they can cope with noisier power
I would mock whatever you are intending up on Modular grid and see - if you are intending to rack some of the newer modules then pay attention to what can be powered from an adapter (say if you have a Memory Palace and a Chromagnon) - there is a module due to allow power input for these from the front of the case - so no cutting involved

1 Like

Hi all,
I am wondering if anyone has actually tried the power from MDLR cases. I am thinking of ordering a case and I am wondering if I will need to take steps to fix power - their power supply looks really hefty but I am asking for experiences.

1 Like

I’m in the process of ordering the 3.4A model of the Bel Power Linear Supply as suggested in this post by Lars — https://community.lzxindustries.net/t/eurorack-case-and-power-supply-options/

I have decided to go for the best quality possible sacrificing on the portability factor. I’m going to design an external case for the power supply and a separate one just for the modules.

As far as my understanding goes, LZX series modules use only the +12V and -12V rails so a 5V scenario doesn’t need to be included for now.

I’m thinking about having three of these in total (see image below). The first one would be used to connect AC and the power supply case. The second and third one between the power supply and the modular case.

I’ll probably be working on this the following months. I intend to share some of the process by the end of it.

1 Like

This is for AC power entry. Do you intend to run DC through them? If so, you are creating a very hazardous situation since it would be easy for someone to plug AC mains power into an input expecting low voltage DC.

Perhaps I misunderstand your intentions.

1 Like

You understood correctly and I appreciate your feedback very much.

I have, since posting above, investigated a bit more and arrived to similar conclusions to yours. I thought that color coding connections and cables, along with careful case design would be enough but, as you put it, it is too vulnerable to mistakes. I also had trouble finding a cable that would feature female connections on both ends so it was prone to be redesigned anyway.

Do you know any type of cabling standard that would be adequate for connecting the powersupply module and the eurorack module case?

A simple representation of the system.

If you’re sending DC through this, then perhaps 4 pin XLR would work well. It can’t be confused with anything else and has more than adequate current capacity (10A per pin, use two for ground and one each for the +/-12V rails). Something like a Neutrik NC4FXX on the cable and NC4FD-LX in the case might do it.

1 Like

I use cheap 4 pin m12 connectors and cables for interconnecting power between cases…
Found cheap ones via aliexpress can send link later…

I’m shopping for an eurorack case and although I don’t own any LZX modules yet, they are kind of on my roadmap of purchases in the mid-long term, so I’m thinking about getting something that would work with those as well.
Would a Cre8audio Nifty Case work OK-ish with LZX modules? I know that the PSU will be noisy and I’m somewhat concerned with the low performance of the -12V rail, but is there anything else I should keep an eye on?
Thank you!

have you looked at the recommendations??? - that’s a good place to start!

I’ve never seen anyone mention using the nifty case for video - so you could always try it!!!

good (recommended) power supplies are the Malekko, Doepfer PSU3 and TipTop Studio bus - if you get a doepfer case specifically for video - 6u is recommended - as the 9u has more space and the same power supply

I use a tiptop mantis which is very close to the Studio bus and works well - but can only really get half full of LZX modules - I have some doepfer and Maths and Stages in the same case and everything just about works - unless it gets hot - which is when you discover why the vessels have fans in them!

saying this which modules are you interested in?

some of (if not all) the newer ones are less fussy about power (on board regulators) Toppogram for example and both Chromagnon and Memory Palace can be (at least partially) powered from an external wall wart which will help massively

and a some of the DIY modules will probably not fit in the nifty

What are people doing for large systems? I’m looking to purchase a 12U MDLR case because my video modular is just exploding all over in different cases, all with substandard power.

Lars has said in various comments that the Malekko and new LZX boards aren’t ideal for large studio systems. So what is?

LIBB+linear PSU would be the highest quality option, but finding a power supply that will output up to 6A and fit inside a eurorack case is a bit challenging. There is the L-1 but at only 1.5A I’d need four of them and that just feels a bit overkill-ish or something.

Curious to hear what others are doing!

I have an MDLR 14U case that is fantastic from a header and wattage perspective. I haven’t experienced all that much noise with the Meanwell power supplies either. I have limited space in my apartment, so it is nice to be able to stow all that hp in around 4 cubic feet. My one concern is that the ring/collar isn’t as solid as I’d like it to be for transportation, especially considering how heavy/not waterproof a loaded case can be. I could probably reenforce some of the weaker points, however I’d rather spend the time patching. I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t considering a Doepfer case, especially because their power supplies have been recommended by LZX for low noise.

1 Like

After collecting parts piecemeal for probably almost a year, finally put together a case today — with a lot of help from a friend who is far more handy than I (my main contribution was slicing open my thumb while trying to shorten a screw).

Very close to what @Tan_Sat posted above, but with an extra 1u row as well. Used @Dewb’s drill template, so thanks for that!

Will post parts list below pics, in case that helps anyone.

Didn’t want to wait for the LZX power module, so just built this 1u Synthrotek power inlet kit:

Added feet, so the screws on the bottom don’t scratch tables:

Ended up using the same exact feet for the spacers on either side of the rack bracket since they were a perfect fit:

Harbor Freight Apache 4800 XL Case $55
Malekko Power $229
Cincon TRH100A120 DC Power Brick $45
Synthrotek 1u Power Panel $18
Vector TS169 Rails x 6 $66
Pulp Logic 1u + 3u + 3u Case Bracket $40
M2.5 Square Nuts $12
& ~$10 misc. hardware

= $475

(not including taxes and shipping, but I also picked up several of those things on sale or used, so I estimate my total cost was more like $450)

6 Likes

So i’m doing a DIY Suitcase rack for my first ever set up, what is the recommended depth for such a case?

I’m looking to mount 6u 84hp to the bottom and then have room at the top to maybe leave patches in when its closed (although not a deal breaker). So how deep does the bottom where I’ll have the rails and power stuff need to be (right now, I’ve got cadets, syntonie, reverse landfill diy stuff only but who knows in the future)? Is there a general recommendation?

2.5 inches at a minimum I’d say. If you want to be careful then I’d go 4 inches or so.

1 Like

all the cadets and most of the synthonie and reverse landfill are boards mounted perpendicular to the panel and some of them can be quite deep so I’d say what lars is saying as clearance over the power supply/busboards and any mountings for the busboards - I’d go for at least 3 inches so there’s a decent amount space for ribbon cables too!

1 Like

the Matrix mixer panel & pcb are mounted parallel :slight_smile:

I have to say, I love shallow cases. But I have none.
My main case is 10.5 cm deep (which is about 4 inches)

1 Like

I know Martijn!!! - I’ve built and am using both the triple function generator and matrix mixer often - I just couldn’t be bothered to go into that much detail…