EuroRack case and power supply options

No noise.
I bought the case with the synthrotek blue power solution. It was so noisy. That s why i ve changed

2 Likes

I use a mix of Malekko Power and Tiptop Zeus Studio Buses. I havenā€™t done exhaustive A/B comparisons with different modules on either PSU but they both present no visible noise on the output.

3 Likes

Excellent news. Thanks.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the addac 901ta case with lzx modules? Iā€™m looking for a 84hp case with four rows.

1 Like

I did the math on the Doepfer A100G6 ā€¦ beautiful aluminum 168 HP 19" rack mount. But the A-100PSU3 only supplies 2000 mA. No way on earth this is going to handle a bunch of LZX modules. The Expert Sleeper ES-9 alone draws 25% of the total rated power from the Doepfer. So the reality is LZX modules need the DC Distro option, thereā€™s just no way around it.

2 Likes

Genus Modu LIBB for a busboard deserves massive mention here.

Also Johnā€™s website is a mega resource in regards to all things power. The eurorack power whitepaper is ripe with info. The site is full of wise design tips for anyone looking to put together a power situation. He basically outlines exactly what you should do & why.
Heā€™s tested a ton of different PSUā€™s & has a good list of candidates for various mA sized systems.

LIBB is amazing & Genus Modu actually publishes the test results to back that up.

2 Likes

Does anyone has already used the MDLR Case Eurorack travel case 12U/94HP for video modules? Iā€™m hesitating buying it and Iā€™d be reassure if someone is using it as it is not really cheap ^^.

I definitely have had my eye on one. I have an MDLR performer case that is excellent from a power and hp standpoint, however I donā€™t feel comfortable traveling with it on an airplane, or in the rain, because the collar has a bit of flex to it. The travel case looks water resistant and is designed to meet airline carry-on requirements. I have read that a 12U clamshell case at 104hp can meet those requirements as well, though I can verify that. If you load up on gen3 modules you might need a dc distro to supplement the onboard power supplies. Otherwise, if youā€™re thinking taking it on an airplane, I would say go for it.

Hey, thanks a lot for your answer! I really appreciate. I donā€™t really mind adding a distro to the mix or twoā€¦ and I would probably need to travel quite a bit with it so it sounds quite good after all :slight_smile: I was just worried for the depth as well, but it seems to be the same as the performer series so it should be a problem. Thanks again!

1 Like

In case it is of interest to anyone, the depth of the MDLR Eurorack travel case 12U/94HP is 77mm which is ok but doesnā€™t give a lot of room to wiggle.

Has anyone tried Eskatonic power with an LZX system? I have a bunch of bus boards and all the bits to integrate some into my next phase video case. Figured I would ask before doing more case shuffles or ripping things apart.

I am finding 3A Distros to just flat out work. So Im shooting for all my Gen 3 to be on that or some version of it. As for the Euro side of things I have started to learn what is working and what is not.

Konstant lab: for sure clean enough but the versions I have do not have enough juice to run a pile of stuff. Also I donā€™t have any spares to poach from my audio cases.

Pittsburgh Modular 270, 360 & 420: boat loads of power but mega boat loads of noiseā€¦ My plan was to use the 360 as it is a nice big case and was going to mix 3A Distro and its euro. However, the first cable you patch from a PGH powered module will kill a good solid 3A distro powered Patch.

So I am thinking to gut this 360 and run some other euro power alongside ā€œbarrelā€ power. Konstant lab has some bigger units that have even better specs than the small one am using so that could be a good option. If this Eskatonic works I could save those funds. I guess I can rig up some of it before gutting the 360 but was wondering if anyone has tried it.

Power supply noise should not be a problem for the new LZX modules. The new power sub-assemblies on each module were created to deal with noisy eurorack power. This solution does make the modules hungrier for more current, but as long as you have sufficient current on the +12V rail, you can use whichever eurorack power supply you wish.

3 Likes

Odd for sure.

The setup was all 9 plugs from 3a distro running all but 2-3 gen3 modules. I put the lowest draw last few modules on the PGH euro power and got all sorts of problems. The same exact setup in my case with Konsant lab power (way less power) is perfect. wonder what else that would be? guess the safe move for a bigger case will be to use more of the konstant lab for non barrel power.

1 Like