Xaoc - Zadar for video

Noticed there wasn’t a thread or any discussion on this module.

Just picked one up today its amazing for video. Each channel can be quickly set to a choose voltage so nice and easy to set each at 1v. Envelope time can be up to 30 minutes and there’s loads of crazy envelopes to choose from. Works perfectly for modulating the Navigator/Shapechanger combo.

Will post some videos over coming days but first impressions are this is a must have module for video modulation.

10 Likes

I was JUST weighing the options between the Zadar and Ornaments and Crime modules for video use after seeing hadesbox’ video on Yutube. I’d love to see some Zadar videos, though. Always dig the Xaoc stuff.

4 Likes

Zadar is my favorite audio module to use with LZX! Especially when you get into audio rate looping, any of the envelope shapes immediately become video shapes

Here’s an example modulating the different shapes with an LFO, while Zadar FMs one of my Vidiot oscillators

7 Likes

For a while now I’ve been on the lookout for something to replace the 4ms QCD+QPLFO combo in my video rack. It does what I want it to (provide tempo synced modulation at several timescales) but the two modules take up a lot of HP, plus each output consumes a channel of 5V/1V conversion on Bridge or an attenuator module. And the ramp modulation options aren’t very exciting.

I think my ideal replacement would be something like Pamela’s New Workout but with 0-1V outputs. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like it has any output range control.

Zadar looks like a very intriguing alternative. From the manual, it seems like the clock division behavior of QCD/Pam’s is reproducible with the chain/repeat/phase options. But I don’t see an obvious way to make Zadar have the “pingable ramp” behavior and speed up or slow down the envelope to hit full range right as the next clock pulse hits. Any owners have thoughts?

2 Likes

You can cheaply attenuate 5V signals with the WMD Quad Attenuator. I have 2 of them now. :laughing:

2 Likes

If you diy (&i know you don’t nerdware) there’s a attenuator from pusherman with 8 attenuators in 10 hp - works out at about 30€ max

1 Like

You can set the output of Zadar to 1v so no attenuation needed.

I don’t know much about the “pingable ramp” you describe, but I can vouch that Zadar is fucking amazing for video. The cycle time of each channel can be modulated by an external source (or with another channel on Zadar self-patched) if that helps.

When you take it to audio rate, every one of the shapes in Zadar can be visualized as a V oscillator :heart: it’s beautiful

2 Likes

You can change the output amplitude of Pams New Workout channels. You set it to a percentage of the 5v level. A 20% level should get you to 1v.
I just noticed that it’s documented on page 10 of the manual.

6 Likes