Utility Modules and Waveshapers (Repost from MW)

Posting here from MuffWigglers as seems more appropriate

What are everyones favourite ‘utility’ modules for their video flow?
At the moment i’m trying to build longer, generative pieces to music, and just ordered a Qu-Bit Synapse for some controlled switching/trying to make more use of the few video modules I have by switching between different pattern generators, LFOs, etc

Also wondering if many people have experience using Waveshapers with their video setups? If so, what Waveshapers have been used and what visual effect it has on different signals (any videos/screenshots/signal flow)?

I’ve seen both the Instruo Tanh [3] and Doepfer A116 WP as two lower priced units to try out but would be great if somebody’s already been there!

1 Like

the first couple threads on the subject I found

a good passive quad slew is just about everything I want in a utility module.

bored brains splix

koma attenucables

passive 2:1/1:2 switches (doepfer A 182-2)

2 Likes

I mainly use these:
Maths
uLFO / doepfer quad LFO
Doepfer / DIY Envelope followers

3 Likes

i use both the a116 and A136 quite a bit

2 Likes

The Casper Electronics / Bastl WAVER is an excellent wave shaping mixer. I made this art piece with it, Vidiot, Staircase, and some LFOs.

and this very literal use of WAVER

Also been really into using low-rents mode of micro ornament and crime

4 Likes

Thanks for the video examples here @Dr_Rek

2 Likes

Note that the WAVER worked best with vertical inputs on Vidiot in these examples. Horizontal input wasn’t great. I’m not sure if WAVER supports x/y content well, but seems to work well on vertical waves, also an amazing audio tool.

1 Like

Qu-Bit Synapse uses 2164 VCA’s. I don’t think that they are fast enough to pass full range video signals. Is anybody else successfully using one of these for video?

Although I’ve never tried them, Brownshoesonly looks to have some really cool modules that switch and fade between multiple inputs. His Hexadecimal Crossfader or Video Scanner look like they could do this.

2 Likes

Scanner is pretty darn cool.
I’ve used it to morph between ramp outputs of vidiot, staircase, and arch.
It always needs 4 inputs and the scan input needs an lfo to drive the rate that it changes between the 4 sources.

Used it in this visuals video

2 Likes

Hex Crossfader takes a little bit more time to dial in, but both that and Scanner are excellent for creating interesting shapes/patterns out of simple ramps/oscillators.

While it might be underutilizing their functions, you can definitely leave parts of them unpatched and they’ll still work. If you patched into inputs 1 and 4 on Scanner, you’d just have black areas on 1/2 of your output, however you direct it to scan across those inputs. LFOs into the Scan input are a good choice for essentially sequencing your inputs but it works wonderfully with video rate sources for readily complex compositions. Feedback patching or multing your signal inputs into the Scan input is very much worth exploring.

3 Likes