The LZX Ecosystem

I still feel like this breakdown would be really helpful:

Or, at very least, separating the fully LZX-compatible (1, above) from everything else.

Also think useful audio modules (i.e. things which don’t even have native 0-1v abilities) should be an entirely different list, as that could quickly become super long.

…but obviously this is a do-ocracy, so do what thou wilt.

1 Like

ok , good idea.

I just made a basic setup, easily changeable!
let’s make this list as best as we can!

1 Like

Will likely have time to monkey around with this more later today. Thanks for getting the ball rolling!

adding a few things here:

• Pamela’s NEW! Workout by ALM/Busy Circuits can be set to output within 0-1V range
  • at least some of the modes in Ornament and Crime by mxmxmx (standard firmware) have amplitude settings options that can be adapted to roughly 0-1V range though since values range from 0-127 or 0-255 for those settings i don’t remember off the top of my head what values you need to pick to get 0-1V
  • also pretty sure Matrixarchate by SSSR Labs can be used for routing video-rate signals with no blurring but triggering switches can only be done at audio rates

also Fluxus Duo comes with RCA to 1/8" adapters and is compatible with LZX-level 0-1V signals at both input and output. i have used it in the middle of a chain with varying degrees of success as a general FSU machine. it’s much glitchier as an end-of-chain device but can definitely be placed in the middle of the chain as well - Prismatic Ray -> Fluxus Duo -> Staircase -> Visual Cortex can be pretty cool.

2 Likes

done. maybe I make a banner with small pictures. it is so blank and white now.

1 Like

You’re correct. It is a very useful tool for completely rerouting a patch live.

If you look at it on a scope, there is some slight blurring at very high frequencies but in most patch scenarios, it’s not noticeable.

I guess breaking into subcategories was sort of a can of worms though, huh? Because I would definitely place a few people in different categories myself.

Also wonder if maybe the 4th category needs to be broken out by manufacturer at all at this point (since most just have one or two)? Seems more efficient to perhaps just list per module there.

…But enough backseat driving for me. Really should be focusing on my day’s actual work (though thinking about this is certainly more fun!).

1 Like

I’m open to discussions about this. I just set it up like you proposed, with most of the companies .
Some subcategories can be described better , I think.

1. LZX format modules - eurorack
  2. Compatible start/end of chain video devices - standalone & eurorack?
  3. Adaptable video modules - some are not eurorack, so maybe ‘devices & modules’
  4. Native 0-1v-capable utilities - standalone & eurorack

This is fantastic work, well done to everyone!

I’ll be a bit of a pain though, and suggest that the “0-1V capable” listings have some sort of qualification regarding their use - ie, the 4MS QPLFO can be adjusted to react to a 1V clock signal but I couldn’t see any info about scaling its output down to 1V.
It’s these tiny details that will be important when assessing its potential use in a video system, especially for those that aren’t tech savvy or willing to read through every word of the manual.

3 Likes

Adtl. thoughts about this (which it’s probably best to workshop before making any changes):

1. LZX-format modules

I’d err on the strict side here. I’d boot Mystic Circuits out since they haven’t actually released (or posted info about, beyond that conference talk last year) Ruins, their planned compatible quad oscillator — I’d put them, based on their currently available module (Tree), in the final category. I’d also continue to leave BPMC out since, while the Fluxus Duo technically can be placed in the middle of the signal flow, I mean, a lot of things can. A 3trins can too. But I wouldn’t call either fully LZX-format by any means.

2 & 3. Compatible/adaptable video eurorack modules & closely-related devices

Even though I was the one that came up with the 4 categories (and they still make sense to me in the larger scheme of things), maybe it would be easier, functionally, to collapse these two? The line seems very blurry and maybe it is best to just ignore said line rather than debate it? And then, yeah, just add a brief description that says how one interfaces each device with an LZX system (many already have the beginnings of such notes). This would also mean we wouldn’t have to list Gieskes twice.

I would also not go overboard here, and try to stick as tightly to Eurorack or at least “module-like” devices (like most of Gieskes’ stuff) as possible. Because this could become a real slippery slope of including every video device ever made — which seems less useful (and there are already growing lists of gear/software over on the Scanlines wiki).

4. Native 0-1v-capable utilities

Agree with Rik that some further description/qualification is needed for each device here in the final category as well.

And again, as I guess is becoming the theme, I would err on the exclusive side and stick tightly to modules/devices intended in some way to run at video rate and/or 0-1v. I think other things that can work (like the Pulp Logic stuff, which I agree has value in a video system — but not in a “compliant” way), should become another wiki post entirely. Seems like the focus here should be compatibility. There are relatively few modules (that I know of) that fit that bill, and would hate for them to get lost in the great mass of things that could potentially be useful.

…What do y’all think?

2 Likes

I would be perfectly happy with no categories.
Otherwise the discussion might ultimately become more about the categories rather than the modules in them.

the expression tile has a trimmer on it that can make it 0-1V compatible very easily.
I’ll get a better video of just VC ramps going through the comparators tomorrow but I find it works extremely well. If that needs to be relegated to the offshoot audio filter not really compatible area that is fine.

3 Likes

I will admit that I was basing my comments about Pulp Logic on the one tile I have, ATT-OFF, which does some cool wave folding but, as I understand it, that is precisely because it is not at all fully video rate. But, yeah, if the Express can be scaled to 0-1v, then you’ve convinced me!

Maybe another way to shorthand the categories would be:

1. Here are people making modules within the LZX format
  2. Here are people making other video modular (or semi-modular) gear and here’s how it interfaces with an LZX system
  3. Here are other utility modules made with LZX format compatibility in mind (or that happen to fall within compatibility)
3 Likes

yes, sounds good.
I changed the look a bit, making it less ‘filled with white spaces’
we can add more info in the subcategories, for example a small bio .
and some additional info about the modules.

1 Like

Okay, I went ahead and made the proposed streamlining edits (and a few more).

Also added some more descriptions/notes/details, both inasmuch as compatibility but also just functionality, when module names aren’t 100% clear about that. But certainly a lot more work that could be done there.

Also noticed that Sleepy Circuits has put Hypno on pre-order, so added them to the second section.

2 Likes

maybe when it is mostly done, this discussion can be moved to a separate thread, so that the WIKI is the only post. that way people don’t have to scroll all the way back up to see the list

5 Likes

Stumbled über those to omiindustriies modules… r2rawr is already released.

https://www.omiindustriies.com/r2rawr

The r2rawr in its most simple form is a 5-bit digital to analog converter. Its basic usage operation is to take gate signals (on or off binary signals) and turn those into stepped analog voltage. It’s great to pair with clock dividers, random gate sources, logic modules, gate sequencers, and square wave oscillators/LFOs.

The order from top to bottom of the inputs indicates the weighting of each bit. QØ on top has a label next to it reading MSB or Most Significant Bit, while Q4 has LSB next to it, or Least Significant Bit. Each bit input changes the voltage output by half as much as the bit above it.

The r2rawr uses a high speed operational amplifier at its attenuverter and output stages. This means the r2rawr can not only process input signals that exist below and at the audio range, it can operate up to the rate of video signals.

Sadly only audio Demo…
Would love to see this in Action with Video.

3 Likes

it has a video segment at the end!

2 Likes

lol. my attention span is not sooo long… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Cheers for writing about this module and including the link @meudiademorte :+1:
Thanks @reverselandfill for the tip, I jumped straight to 4:30 and only had to endure 3 seconds of audio for the visuals begun :wink:
:star_struck:

4 new Syntonie modules have just appeared on Modular Grid for those who are interested;

CBV002 Circuit Bent Video Delay
VU007 RGB to Component Encoder
VU005 Dual Sinewaveshaper
VU006 Quadrature Oscillator

6 Likes