The LZX Ecosystem

Would the VU005 Dual Sine Waveshaper be able to turn a diamond shaped H+V ramp into a circular shape?

2 Likes

My instinct would be “yes” but I’d wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in rather than take my word for it.

2 Likes

Quoting @syntonie :

"Sine waveshaper is nice if you
only have linear waveform (triangle/ramps) as in Cadets setup, maybe less interesting if you have a Prismatic Ray that outputs exponential waveforms already, or Curtain that can smooth waveforms by filtering.
Quad LFO is nice even if you already have a LFO or even quadrature LFO, as this one is only 4HP and outputs 1V signals, so that’s about 8HP less than using Doepfer quad LFO + Cadet Scaler for example "

3 Likes

If you shape the h and v separately, then combine, assuming you can control the offset of the sine shaper

4 Likes

That’s right, as @pbalj pointed out, H and V ramps needs to be shaped before being summed/mixed. Then it ask for a bit of tweaking of the input level and shape/offset: the level is intentionally a bit higher than a sine, resulting in a rounded square when at max positions, and offset has been made accessible on the front panel to have control over shape.

Here H and V mirrored ramps are shaped, faded and then through a keyer:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH8RSyXqWU2/

So not exactly a circle, and it is kind of emphasized when rectified/frequency doubled:

4 Likes

The image on the right is great because of the gradual transition of a smaller circle to a larger diamond & if these ramps have their volumes changed by CV before first then things will get really interesting as well when CVing the VU005 parameters. (Update, there’s NO CV inputs on the Dual Sine Waveshaper! :sob:)

1 Like
1 Like

Here’s a pair of links to newly available 1U modules on the Visible Signals’ website :+1:t3:

https://www.visiblesignals.net/product/1lv/

1VR Voltage Reference – Visible Signals

3 Likes

I’ll need someone to make me some but I’d love to get several of the voltage references to just throw into inputs of a passive quad joystick interface
dreamy…

2 Likes

i’ll be building a few, will let you know when i’m done :+1:

2 Likes

There’s a couple of new modules from Visible Signals, the 1U passive 1SW & the 3U 4HP XORAND. Here’s a short video I made of a freshly built Visible Signals XORAND in action, there’s a 2nd much longer one of the same channel:

If you’re looking for one & aren’t into DIY soldering & such, please pm me. I’m selling as I got 3 PCB/Panel sets from Erwin at Raw Voltage last week.

Here’s the descriptions from each of their product pages to save data if you’re outside a city & the data stream is slow.

1SW is a passive 6HP 1U tile for switching one output between two inputs, or selecting one output from two inputs. A panel switch toggles between connecting either socket ‘A’ or ‘B’ to the common socket ‘X’ at any time, and a big red PUNCH momentary button temporarily swaps to the other socket while it is pressed. The PUNCH button is super-useful for quick-fire live performance effects!

Xorand is a four-input logic gate module designed for live manipulation of up to four separate image or pattern sources via front panel performance control switches.

While it may be a little bit tricky to describe what Xorand does, it is actually very easy and rewarding to use – just plug in some image or pattern signal inputs and start toggling the switches to tweak and adjust the output to your heart’s content

Xorand works by first converting each of Xorand’s four inputs into a digital (fully on or off) signal, then combining them together with each of the other inputs in one of three ways. An input set to AND mode acts as a filter, only allowing other signals to show through where it is “lit” (+0.5V or greater). Inputs in XOR/OR mode are either layered over each other like overhead transparencies ( OR mode ) or combined so that an even number of input images that are both “lit” at the same spot cancel each other and result in an “unlit” pixel ( XOR mode ). XOR mode is particularly useful for producing complex, interrelated patterns that are directly related to the inputs, but that brings balance and “negative space” to otherwise simple visual compositions.

1 Like

I noticed that Plankton Electronics have an audio + video version of this little mixer, capable up to 6mhz:

Might be useful esp. if someone has 2hp they want to fill.

5 Likes

Here’s a link to my first patch with a freshly built One-Of-Four module from Visible Signals. Although the One-Of-Four got released 2 or 3 months ago, I haven’t seen anyone post any video or news about it. I’ve received 3x PCB&Panel sets earlier this week so if you’re interested, please write to me.

4 Likes

Here’s a link to a playlist of videos I’ve made for the 1U Visible Signals modules.

5 Likes

@Fox has just created an order thread for 2 new modules called Daisy & Access that are both available in DIY & built versions.

Unrelated but for the recently released Visible Signals’ One-Of-Four module, here’s the results (4x 1min Videos) of a “first patch” setup that I dreamed up of last week but only got around to last night. It’s various ramp waveforms into the 4x inputs of the ONEofFOUR & then it’s output into a few other LZX & VSig modules, notably the Navigator & 2x 1LV.
Any questions, please ask.
I’ve a couple of these for sale, let me know if you’re interested in one.
#BerlinVideoArt

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSHeeOOtYrB/

Here’s a photo of a One-Of-Four panel with orange nuts:

4 Likes

Some exciting news out of Superbooth (via the LZX Discord) on upcoming Syntonie modules:

13 Likes

The rear RCA sync passthrough on the rear of the VU003B will be really handy for people that want to have a minimal system, such as this and Memory Palace.

3 Likes

So pleased with this announcement :slight_smile: think it’ll be my entry point into video synthesis

2 Likes

Yeah, will be interesting to see if his release beats the ESG release. Not sure how far he is from actually selling these.

3 Likes

You are totally right!
Vu003b + baja/vu006 + fader + MemPal is a mega compact yet super powerful package.
Add a triple sloth and a diver for the extra mile :))

2 Likes