@creatorlars mentioned on the FB group that there are plans to develop/release a “video scriptable module” and we can start the discussion about it. So here I wanted seed the topics about this that I think are relevant, so feel free to comment on them, to add new or whatever you feel.
1. GUI: Regarding the medium of programming, there are (at least but not limited) to mainstream approach to program. To use “boxes” and “wires” (a-la-Max) or traditional plain text. I personally prefer just a text editor but that because I’m a developer and can handle, the boxes-wires are almost universally in the software industry to break or lower the bar regarding the users of the platform. The problem is that creating a UI with dragable elements and connections in a way that is intuitive and easy to use is not trivial or a small task, meaning that development of this eurorack module with its full-fledged GUI with boxes is not viable as a product to sell. A good alternative could be to use an existing software platform (maybe like Axoloti Platform Patcher or even Max???) and integrate the module into it. In this case I would try to go with opensource always (avoiding Max).
2. Programming Languages: as for the PL I suggest going with some specific-domain one, like Processing. I would totally avoid using python in the same way that Criter&Guitari made on the ETC (I love python, I program in python almost every day at work…).
3. Hardware interface/uploading sketch: I would definitely want to have a direct USB-serial connection to upload the sketch into the module or similar, an alternative can be a SD card and swap it, but that will mean that as a programmer I will need a “renderer” on the computer.
4. GPU/opengl/glsl: If the module have a GPU we could even do hi quality shaders and other advanced video effects, that would be amazing.
5. Mac, Windows, Linux:, as a Linux user I have when software is Mac only compatible :(, but this is something I cannot complain too much as there are many reasons why developers (like me) choose proprietary platforms over opensource, and thats its because those platforms are more common among users that you to promote use of the software you are creating. Still there are multiplatform options.
6. Controls: standard controls for digital modules would be nice:
- assignable control to variables inside the sketch
- encoders with buttons rather than pots for more software flexibility each one with CV input+att.
- 1 or 2 toggle buttons
- maybe OLED? to select from the menu which program to load/save etc…
Please comment, even if you don’t know how to program (or are interested in it) because maybe the final module will be a hybrid to allow non-developer users to use it and be happy with it, but to let all the depth for exploring to more advanced users.