Projector for rescanning and feedback. Desired specs?

As per the title.

If a person were wanting to acquire a projector for indoor use, what should one look for?
My list comprises:

Fan noise
Nits/lumens/brightness/bulb hours
Input formats & resolutions
Mounting hardware points and options

A throw of 10-15 feet (3-5 meters) is likely.

Any thoughts on the matter? Any pointers appreciated.

Here’s some projector fun via Michael/Yovozol:

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing the video, such a good effect! Will have to dig out my projector to try this

2 Likes

Not sure if you have seen this tool: Projection Calculator Pro - Projector to Screen Distance
I used it a lot when I was doing projection for live events.
No real input on fan noise. Never could hear them over music.
If you are just going to use it at home, or somewhere you have full control of the ambient lighting, the lumens aren’t as important. I’d still go for at least 3000. Obviously high lumen$ is always better.
If ultra/short throw and/or HD output is not important, you save on budget there for sure. If that’s even a concern?
Most will have all the inputs for whatever resolution you throw at it. Just check the specs for composite/component input unless you want to convert to HDMI before the beamer (possibly adds latency if scaling).
Also, what surface will you have to project on? And layout? There are different materials or pre-made screens made for front or rear projection, transparent or not, fire treated or not, etc. A white wall works for having fun but, I’d want a nice surface for rescanning.
Mounting depends on the projector and your layout. Mount to ceiling is cool. Tripod is cool if you can shift the lens or hang the projector upside down from it.

2 Likes