New Cadet Layout Project

Thanks @creatorlars for the context and encouragement towards making novel contributions for the community. I hope my post didn’t come off as any shade to you or the LZX team. It’s frankly incredible these video instruments exist at all and future DIY offerings sound really exciting / smartly aligned with upcoming production modules.

@VisibleSignals That’s fantastic that this resource has made it possible to invent your own designs! Look forward to seeing what you’ve come up with. I know I have a tremendous amount to learn yet but I’ve gleaned a lot out of the Cadet schematics and poking around on boards I’ve built up since I first got into video DIY.

@reverselandfill Your modules have been awesome additions to the LZX landscape and I know you’ve posted several promising in-progress projects here. Do you want a hand with any of those in particular? The VC Feedback Differentiator looks fantastic and it seemed like you were pretty far along with that. More mixers are always welcome, too. :slight_smile:

For my own attempts, I’m in the middle of figuring out a YPbPr output to tack onto the RGB Encoder with @Analogmonster. I’d be up for working with anyone else to square that one away as we’re getting pretty close. I’ve also been slowly picking away at a modded Function Generator design which will have bipolar CV control over each band and a buffered output for each band as well.

I decided to just download KiCad yesterday and figure out how to use it. It’s been surprisingly simple so far and after years of making awkward stripboard layouts, I’m kicking myself for not diving in sooner.

I’d love to work with anyone here on putting together layouts or adapting designs you’ve been dreaming up so please post here or DM me. There’s a lot of fertile ground here and it would be wonderful to see video modular offerings flourish like audio modular has in the past decade.

4 Likes