NEED ADVICE:how do you convert big files for uploading, whats your workflow befor uploading to video platforms?

Hello there,

how is your workflow before you upload it to a platform like youtube?
i cnat find a good compromise between quality and seize of video …

heres my workflow for capture a video with audio:
i capture both adio and video with blackmagic intesity shuttle…
out of shuttel comes a biiiig file, usually 4 minutes of video are like 5 GB of data ,

then i put it in adobe premiere and convert it into a smaller file…at the end its this:
Videocodec-Typ: MP4/MOV H.264
Typ: MPEG-Film
Dateigröße: 351,86 MB
Bildgröße: 720 x 484
Framerate: 29,97
Pixel-Seitenverhältnis: 0,9091

but the quality is not that great… i mean there must be a better way between 359 mb and 4 gb is a lot of space ? someone got any andvice?

thanks for your help in advance!

okay, the answer just found me :

the problem is the codec and format of video i choose in premiere…“mp4 is not a good choise” for that purpose…
a good format for encoding raw videos is PRO RES or DNxHD

2 Likes

I would suggest editing and exporting at a higher resolution than 720x480. If you have the means to upscale to HD on capture, that is ideal. If not, scale in Premiere when editing.

1 Like

I’ve never been able to get the upscaling options in Blackmagic software to work at the capture stage. It feels like those options are doing absolutely nothing at all. If I want to enable that, do I need to change my project settings in BM Media Express? I’m still configuring my input on desktop video setup to accept SD video. Maybe the output needs to be set to HD, and then the project settings in Media Express need to reflect that??

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother upscaling at capture. I prefer to upscale at the “publish” stage, unless I’m upscaling during the compositing stage. That’s how my workflow goes. Yours might be different. Johnny’s might be different. If you work mainly in 1080P, then you should probably convert to that during or soon after capture. Exactly how you do that may not matter much, esp if the end results are the same. This is why I work mainly in SD during production and post-production. It saves me disk space and CPU-time, but YMMV.

Another option might be upscaling before capture, perhaps using a mixer that upscales to 1080. Your options here will depend on the details of your capture process. Mine involves multiple devices which each perform specific roles, like component-to-SDI, SDI->disk, etc. So I can place other devices in my capture workflow, like an upscaler or mixer. E.g. S-Video from VC to V4 mixer, S-Video to component, then to SDI and finally disk. That last part might be a computer with an SDI card or a stand-alone device. I could even convert to HDMI and feed that to a monitor. You get the idea. There are many options!

However, if you use a simple all-in-one capture devices, like the Intensity Shuttle, your options may be more limited but far from simple.

1 Like

I should add that I started simple and gradually built up the workflow that I now use. So VC to Intensity Shuttle, capture without upscaling should also work. As I don’t have that hardware (I’m not even sure if it was available when I started), I can’t say for sure. However, I’m very sure you can upscale just before uploading. I use a publishing script wrapped around FFMPEG that upscales and adds copyright metadata to prepare the file to be uploaded, but a good video editor should be able to do the same.

hej thanks for your answers. yeah that all seems like a way.
as for now, i stay with the intensity shuttle.
watching the worklflow video i also found out that the best method depends on what your end publishing platform is…
so if its youtube or an artist page on facebook you need an end format like mp4 (and H.264 codec). and thats by nature not the best end format after capturing analog video, so that makes it a little harder to get good results.
but if you want to have a good endformat and a good balance of quality and file size it can be done more easily cause you can choose a codec and format that is working better with the analog video material (its explained and named in the video) .
so choosing another platform that accepts other video formats might also be a game changer.
if i got the time and the inner peace ill try out a litte with upscaling after capturing and let you know what the baby looks like. :+1:

1 Like