Video codec converters

Hello guys! I hope you are all safe.
I have a question, what is the format converter that you use for video? I am using the blackmagic hyperdeck shuttle to record the videos from my eurorack system. when recording in raw format the quality is excellent. but I need a format converter to convert those videos losing the lowest quality possible. the idea is to be able to import them later in resolume to manipulate and others. any recommendation of video format converters ??? (windows user here!)
thanks a lot!

1 Like

Nobody else has answered yet, so here’s what I can offer. You can probably do everything you want using a video editor, and it should make it all real easy, but I can’t recommend one for your platform as I don’t use it. I can tell you what I use, which *might work for you, but I’m not recommending it. I package all this inside a moderately friendly frontend, but it basically does the following using a program called ffmpeg.
https://ffmpeg.org

Anyway, here’s the ugly incantation that tells ffmpeg what to do. This example takes a video file directly from the Shuttle and converts it a stereo MP4 video file. Explanations for all the options used here are in the ffmpeg manual. Yes, it’s all very technical. As I said, a video editor should do this for you and make it much easier. This forum changes them to another character code, so you’ll need to replace the double quotes in the text below with the double-quotes character you can type on your keyboard. The single-quote character might also work. So - with big disclaimers - this might do what you want, if I understand you right.

ffmpeg -i Capture0000.mov -an -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:v libx264 -crf 0 publish.mp4

Adding audio makes this a little more complex, I’m afraid. This is because of the way SDI uses audio, and I’m converting to SDI before my HyperDeck Shuttle gets it. If you convert to HDMI, you might get something simpler. I don’t know, as I’ve never tried that. I don’t have a suitable device for that.

ffmpeg -i Capture0000.mov -filter_complex “pan=stereo|c0=c0|c1=c1” -pix_fmt yuv420p -c:a aac -c:v libx264 -crf 0 publish.mp4

I usually add a few other options for things like metadata, but removing all the options in my videopublish script, that’s more or less what it boils down to. I’d offer you my script, but its not a Windows program.

1 Like

wow! thank you for your reply and explanations. it´s like a new universe for me because i´m not a programmer. my question was probably very open. i need a video editor software to convert raw material into a new format that resolume can read. And with the less quality loss and for windows platform. i need some advice in that direction. for me, as more simple the editor is, as better, because i will work and manipulate video with resolume after the conversion.
I use

resolume alley
that allows me convert into the native resolume format. But alley doesn´t read raw files. i´m using prores files from hyperdeck and then i convert with alley, BUT… prores is not the same image quality than raw! i feel lots of lquality loss.

in my actual chain i´m using sdi too. i use blackmagic analog to sdi miniconverter to go from component of visual cortex to sdi, and then into hyperdeck. now i´m thinking about to get an scaler too to complete the rig.

so, after all, thank you for your reply!

I mostly use Adobe Premiere Pro now, before that I used VirtualDub (which is free open source software)

youcan experiment with codecs. I use mp4 or Quicktime often (for web releases). but it depends on size and quality, and what your computer can handle.