Memory Palace V19 Firmware Release March 2020

someone on the facebook group asked about slit scanning
I posted a video we made and one that someone else did of slit scanning with the memory palace

It spurred me on to turn the system on and I tried to get slit scanning on the new firmware up and running

I’m having some issues

Slit scanning issue

There are two ways to approach as far as I can understand
both involve RGB coming from visual cortex expander going into the input of memory palace

1 involves using the AUX/A input on memory palace for a ramp output
2 involves changing the routing on memory palace to RGB/Media (loading a ramp on the media, luma key)

so in warp mode using method 2 (RGB from VC> RGB MP | route RGB/media(media on ramp))
things work like I expect where I can use the width/center controls to dial in an amount of the Ramp to use as a key for the incoming RGB video
however when switching over to paint (leaving everything else the same)
It seems like it ends up using the luma from the RGB source instead of the media

now I’ve been playing around with method 1 after messing around with the controls a bunch I dialed it in to something similar I think!
I would still prefer to be working with internal stills as ramp sources doing this kind of thing.

AUX slider

Another issue I’m having my AUX slider doesn’t seem to engage on the screen until it is about 3/4 of the way thrown. On the screen itself the AUX slider only goes to about 50%
Even though it doesn’t show it on the screen it does seem like the part of the slider that isn’t registering on the screen (bottom half or so) is changing things in the system so I guess it is just a UI issue maybe
although maybe this is the normal function and I’m just not understanding

these all have to do with the X&Y params on the memory palace

X&Y parameters if slew is on light/heavy CV in doesn’t seem to work (“value” is unchanged)
CV in reads the values just fine though
some times slider &or value will jump to something other than 100% but then just go right back to it

if X/Y slew are on light/heavy the sliders on MP only works for ~50% of the throw (50-100) when in the 0-50 range it doesn’t change the value

when no slewing is on sliders work in full range though

is there any way to have X&orY sliders on the MP (while X&orY scroll is ON) still scale the scroll time of X&orY while CV is present?

I m doing slitscan too. I went back to V18, it s much straightforward for that kind of practice. Paint mode is unusable without the clear buffer function.

I’m also new to the MP, and have noted the same thing about the clear function as others. So far, I’ve been altering the width, center, and softness to clear the buffer. Freeze stops the keyed image from being added to the buffer, and clear resumes that action. The benefit is that you can stutter or flicker the feedback, layering foreground/background, then resume without blanking the screen. I figured that it was an intentional trade-off in functionality, since there are new/different possibilities to the way it is now.

My v20 suggestions each relate to alternate preview/monitoring output modes.

a. Could there be an option to make the video outputs match the RGB inputs rather than the RBG outputs, allowing for a display of the pre-feedback image, something one could monitor on the input on Liquid TV, for example? I understand that all the video outputs would probably need to be the same, since there is just one output encoder on the MP, but I’m sending the RGB feedback outs to the VC for final compositing anyway.

b. Could the Y output be assigned to be the key, as defined by the MP mode and fader settings, rather than the luma of the RGB outputs? Again, I was imagining this could be useful in sending to the Liquid TV, and also useful in patches, for any of a number of possibilities.

It feels odd even making suggestions at this point, because it’s such an awesome device as it is, and I love the new goodies in v19!

Best Wishes to everyone out there!

I m not agree. I think it s a bug. I set the ext trigger input to the clear function, it doesn t work either.
Maybe someone from LZX can tell us ?

I agree with you, something doesn’t seem fully resolved. On my MP anyway, clear does still have a function, which is to resume feedback on top of what is already there. I like the effect of stopping/starting, but it would be easier if Freeze would toggle on/off, rather than lock, and Clear could again erase the buffer. Again, I don’t know how things behaved before v19, and I’m just sharing some of my first impressions.

The clear function was designed in V19 to clear the frozen image from the buffer.

So there s no more a kind of clear screen function ?
In paint mode it’s weird

1 Like

You can use the keyer controls (Width & Center) to clear the background, typically.

1 Like

I don’t know if this has been brought up or addressed already, but navigating the media folders could be made a little simpler by using the enter key to select/open files or folders, then up or down to navigate/select, and enter to exit that branch. This would allow one to go backward and forward.

Additionally, it would be nice if folders and files didn’t auto load when they’re selected. Maybe a long press on the enter key could be a “load folder” and “load file” command so it’s not necessary to load things in sequential order only.

2 Likes

Agreed! This navigation upgrade won’t be in V20, but more likely in V21.

4 Likes

Feature request:
ability to zoom or overscan input slightly to remove sync line borders when using Vidiot as an input
(feature available in the ET Structure, TBC2 $800 module isn’t a realistic solution for just this issue, so Structure has become my Vidiot RGB output processor for now :man_shrugging:)

Documentation request:
Ghost and Scene mode
I kind of understand scene mode will play still animation folder loops, but unable to get anything out of ghost mode yet.

1 Like

I’m messing with Scene mode a lot and I love it! Superb for making animated moire patterns.

Lars said on Facebook I should be able to load two different images into Scene mode by using the media loader for one layer and the delay slider for the second layer. This doesn’t seem to work for me. The delay slider does change the image offset from the media loader, but it changes both layers identically. Is there a trick or setting I’m missing to accomplish this?

1 Like

Also, in case it hasn’t been documented yet, Scene mode is fairly unstable for me. Lots of hiccups in the image, blanking, etc. Happens with media or ARGB input. Not experiencing it in Warp mode.

I’ve noticed the slight undersized image of Vidiot output too (when I capture). I wonder if there is a trimpot inside that can perhaps fix this?

I’ve also got a black bar on whatever video source I plug into Memory Palace, visible when you I tile/reflect, even with an external scaler. But they’re aware of it and pretty sure Lars said that’s getting addressed in V20

1 Like

yeah it would be pretty awesome to get that black bar sorted
it can be neat sometimes but it really threw me for a loop at first

What does the firmware reset do that resetting to defaults doesn’t? Does it reformat the whole thing, ie wiping any internal content I’ve added?

Reset firmware reverts your firmware to shipped version. The folders on the SD card remain untouched.

1 Like