Help for a 1st setup

HI there,
I’d like to start a small video set up but I’m a bit lost.
I’m not interested about video “synthesis” and color transformations.
I only need a 2 RCA inputs B/W system capable of fading and splitting between them by CV. And possibilty to invert (negative), maybe keying sources also with CV.
Basically what do an old panasonic video mixer but CV controlled!
What do you think is the cheapest and simplest solution to achieve this?
Thanks a lot.
Best.
Ben

note that your input sources must be genlocked to achieve this !
A videomixer such a Panasonic mx10 has a TBC build in.
read up here: Questions regarding using multiple Cadet III’s
(my reply there was based on the assumption that no TBC was used)

So, as a simple setup:
1x Cadet Sync generator
1x Cadet RGB encoder (modded for B&W- see here: topic )
2x Cadet Video input
2x Cadet Processor (for inverting)
1x Cadet Fader (for crossfading)
2x Cadet Hardkey (for keying each channel)

If you want to do wipes, a Cadet Ramps is handy.

and a Time base corrector or camera’s with Genlock

Hi,
thanks a lot for the quick reply.
It’s not simple, my cameras are cheap DV models, so there is no TBC.
I’ll have to find an unit out of the box unit. Or an available module can do this?
And for the output, I need also another conversion module to display on CRT monitor?
Thanks

the RGB encoder spits out composite signal so you can connect it directly to a CRT monitor, LCD display (with analog input) or projector.

a TBC is an external device. there are some people here that use them, maybe they have good tips on cheap ones?

Maybe check out glitchart.com, they modify old Panasonic switchers and add CV controls.

Edirol V4’s are very cheap now. And they’ve got full midi i-o. From there all you’d need is something like the Befaco CV to Midi:
https://www.befaco.org/en/vcmc/

Hi,
thanks for the advices.
I’ve already tried with the edirol and the midi setup is a pain.
And the quality of pipes/effects is not as good as on panasonic WJ…
The LZX stuff seems cleaner… I made a simple vactrol CV input to replace the fader on my MX-50. Sometimes it works great sometimes it doesn’t.
The main purpose was to minimise my gear and try to merge the video part with my audio modular synth. But it’s maybe to expensive.
Glitchart is more focused on hacking but I’ll try to ask him.

Sounds like there are four factors here: compact, reliable, easy, cheap. You’ll almost certainly not get all four. You can maybe get three though.

And LZX system can be relatively compact, reliable, and easy. But probably won’t be super cheap by any means.

Off-the-shelf video hardware isn’t likely to have suitable CV (or MIDI) controls.

Hacked video hardware could be cheap, but isn’t likely (as it sounds like you’ve already found) to be easy, compact, or reliable.

Depending on what exactly you already have as far as cameras, laptop, CV to MIDI — how interoperable they are, etc. — a computer-based system (running some VJ software) may be relatively cheap, easy, and reliable. Also will allow more room to grow (without much adtl. cost beyond initial set-up). But it isn’t quite so compact. And certainly not as fun.

Which is all to say, if a computer system won’t work for you, LZX may be the best way to go. Maybe sell a few audio modules (or a kidney)?

A lot of old CCTV cameras have genlock input. They can be picked up cheaply and are usually b&w. They would work well with the system suggested by reverselandfill.

Thanks everybody for your ideas / points of view.
Computer is not an option for what I do and LZX seems the best direction.
The diy job of the cadet serie doesn’t seem difficult, I’ve already build several audio modules… By now I can’t import BOM on Mouser site, so what is the medium cost of a module with components?
The problem with old CCTV cameras I previously tested is the lack of shutter/exposure/zoom settings and I really need it. But maybe there are models with more options. I’ll also need to check this.

I’m pretty sure I found a cheaper source but I use lenses a bit like these.

Manual iris, zoom, and focus.
I dont remember exactly what settings the panasonic CP474E’s i’m using will allow me to tune, but i’m guessing google might provide a manual that does.

most Cadet modules cost about 50 to 80 euro’s to build

@Transistorcat: Good to hear that I was wrong about CCTV cameras. Do you use yours to shoot CRT TVs for feedback? That’s why I need the shutter setting, but maybe it works great as it is…
What’s the purpose of the 2/4 quadrant multiplier, it’s like for the audio, a VCA with negative signal?
And I also need a scaler to turn my CV signals in 1V if I understand correctly.
I’ve succeed to stop my addiction to audio modules, I hope it won’t be the same with video stuff… :flushed: :roll_eyes:

good luck with that!

2 Likes

Most interesting (i.e. genlock-able) cctv cameras will have a CS-mount or C-mount lens. A lot of the lenses have an electronic iris, some have a manual (Both options can be interesting for feedback).

I use mine for everything that requires input to my system, including feedback and rescanning.

Hi there,
After a long time of reflexion, I finally bought a VisualCortex. I’ll add cadet separate modules later when I’ll be more familiar with videomodular. Just to know, can I use 2 cameras with Genlock inputs, one for chA, on for chB, both synced by the VC?

Congratulations on the Cortex! You can use two (or more) cameras with it.
Use one of the composite outputs as the genlock signal take it to one of the cameras and daisy chain it through to the other one.
You can take the outputs of the cameras and plug them in any of the Cortex inputs.
You could even have different cameras going in to the R, G and B of channel A, if you wanted.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the reply.
So I’ve ordered 2 genlock panasonic cameras.
But with only one the VC is already awesome!!