Help with Castle Range

Hello, I have built the eight Castle range of DIY modules but have no idea on how to use them. I need video source, a cheap camera with RGB output but cannot find one, I have an old children’s video camera with AV out and have ordered a AV2RGB converter, hoping that will suffice. Can I just take the RGB output and use the 15 pin monitor input on a flat screen TV to display it.
DaveL

2 Likes

Do you have a core module set like a Visual Cortex or Cadet I / Cadet II along with your set of Castles? You need a sync generator module and an encoder module to display valid video on a TV.

If rather you’re trying to input external video into the Castles, it’s not just a case of plugging the output of that AV2RGB converter directly into the modules–you’d also need to synchronize/genlock the camera to your sync generator otherwise your camera input will scroll. There are also a few input conditioning steps (clipping, DC restore, etc.) that an input module would take care of. None of these are readily available for purchase at the moment, unfortunately.

This post might help:

4 Likes

If you wanna get real loose you can try using a CHA/V by Jonas Bers setup for your input /output. That’s vga, where sync and rgb are individual signals. Should work.

2 Likes

Hello rempesm, I have the Castle range of 8 modules a V Sig RGB Matrix Direct In, Input, Keyer and Output modules, John Asbers chav-3 and VU003 component to RGB converter and a Chinese RGB signal generator but do not know how to connect them up.
Is there is an idiots guide to video it would be very handy, I have built a Eurorack modular synth which was easy as it is obvious what goes where and why but a video synth is so different.
I thought that the Castle range was a replacement for the Cadet range but now know I was wrong. Why on earth the Cadet range was scrapped I don’t know.
I had another email saying
“If you wanna get real loose you can try using a CHA/V by Jonas Bers setup for your input /output. That’s vga, where sync and rgb are individual signals. Should work.”
I will give it a try and see what happens, I saw Thonk had a Syncbus board by reverselandfill but it didn’t look as though I needed it.

Regards Dave.

Hi David,

Full disclosure: I’m Adrian from Visible Signals.

To make a working LZX-compatible composite video synthesizer you need two more things - something to generate video sync (e.g. Cadet 1, Vidiot, Visual Cortex, Video Sync Generator) and something to encode the video patterns you make with your modules (e.g. Cadet 2, Vidiot, Visual Cortex, Color Video Encoder). Those modules/board that I’ve listed can be a bit hard to come by, since none of them are available new any more :frowning:

The VU003 is useful for inputting component video into your module system, but only if it’s already synchronised with an existing video sync generator and encoder.

The “Chinese RGB signal generator” might possibly be useful for your sync needs, but very likely not.

The CHA/V is a VGA video synth, rather than composite which is what the LZX and VSig modules are intended for. That said, you might be able to interface the two to some degree, but I don’t have an CHA/V so can’t offer you any concrete examples to try out.

The Reverselandfill Syncbus is a helpful utility for distributing sync in a modular system, but doesn’t generate sync or encode video.

Sorry to be the bearer of sad news :frowning:

1 Like

There’s someone selling a Visionary VSG and CVE on the FB group, if you’re trying to get up and running. I can link you up if you aren’t on FB.

1 Like

I use this combination in one of my (otherwise 100%) DIY video modulars - highly recommended. @dave7l hop to it, don’t sleep on this!

1 Like