Connecting to Final Cut Pro

Output from Color Chords I believe is clipped to the 0-1V range of the LZX patchable video standard, which is not directly convertible to HDMI via any commercially available converter. LZX standard voltage signals are intended for patching within a video synthesizer, and must be encoded to some standard video format to be connected to a display or PC. Generally this encoding is done either with the Visual Cortex or a Cadet I + Cadet II combo to generate composite video, though some LZX modules support other output formats like S-Video. To capture this analog output you need some type of capture equipment, I think LZX has generally recommended the Thunderbolt Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle + a Thunderbolt 2/Thunderbolt 3 adapter cable. I have had predictably cheap results using cheapo “VHS to Digital” USB doohickeys - the framerate is bad, the artifacts are bad, it likes to crash or fail to enumerate entirely - and have not personally sprung for a capture unit yet. I mostly just film my display (but this has its own problems).

1 Like