Cases / Power / Portability

Memory Palace needs about 550ma on the positive rail, so you should be ok.

Just picked up the 84hp NiftyCASE and plugged in my Visual Cortex and Prismatic Ray modules. For some reason I get a high pitch hiss whenever I plug in more than one module. I thought I would be within the power limits:

Power output for modules

Does the case just come with a bad psu?

it’s a definite possibility - I’ve not heard of whining before though

I’d go for a case with one of the recommended power supplies if I were you, otherwise it is a complete gamble - have you tried plugging into a tv? you’ll probably see noise all over that too

hello! if i understand things, both the Memory Palace and the Chromagnon are best run with their own 12V power supplies in addition to the Euro buss power (for non +12v things)?

i’m helping a friend put together a pretty packed 208hp video rig. in my dreams, i would love to find a one-power cable solution. i wonder if i installed a second power supply to just feed the +12 needs of these two modules, if it could all run from a single IEC power cable to the case?

it’s +12v DC, i presume that these two modules need? what is the draw needed?

thanks very much!

1 Like

chromagnon / TBC2 can be completely powered off a 12v input OR euro power

memory palace needs either just euro power or 12v plus euro power

a good place to look for info about the modules is the LZX website

chromagnon

memory palace reference card

memory palace is one of the modules which will be known as falling between the new power standard and the old.

the new powered standard is going to be one of those things that incoming video synthesists won’t even have to think about but will feel like magic to people who’ve been around for a while.

1 Like

Memory Palace requires about 550ma on the positive 12v rail and a little bit on the negative.
Chromagnon will be somewhere under 1500ma. There will be a 4hp power distro module to send additional 12v to modules that have barrel power inlets.

3 Likes

that’s excellent info, thank you. i’m sorry if this has been covered in detial elsewhere - i couldn’t find it!

is there a projected date for the release of this 12v distro module? in its absense, could i simply take a brick like, say https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/418-TRH100A12012E126 (12v, over 8A!) and split the output between the Memory Palace, Chromagnon, and the Structure (all of which will be in this rack, and all of which can use supplimentary 12v via barell jacks)?

i’m trying to find a clean, simple, 1-power cable solution to what will be a portable rig being used by various artists.

thanks so much, and again, sorry if this has all be covered elsewhere in the forum.

yes you can split the 12v power

I currently am taking the 12v aux out from my vessel into a splitter powering a row40 and a podx60

1 Like

alas, the Vessel [nice typo!] is no more, it seems. on the subject of cases, i noticed that the Vessel has two fans installed. is this advised for other cases?

The power distro module will be released when TBC2 (which also has an aux barrel input) is ready to ship.

2 Likes

I bought a new case. it s 12 U 84 HP.
The power is Synthrotek blue . 3a at +12v. so it respects the 10 mA per hp.
But it s so noisy.
Does anyone have experiences with that power ?

I wouldn’t recommend a Synthrotek PSU (or any of their products for that matter–google Synthrotek controversy) for video synthesis.

3 Likes

Had not heard about that Synthrotek nonsense. Yuck. Good to know!

This needs to be posted around more places, I had no idea either and was planning an order with them. Glad to see if you google ‘synthrotek’ the reddit post about all the controversy is on the first page!

1 Like

Is there an alternative to Malekko power ?

Tip top zeus power board ?

I just got a 12U mdlr travel case and it has their linear power, more expensive than malekko but I have had really good results.

1 Like

Interested in hearing how people got their vessels portable or if you anyone made their own travel accessories for it like a snap on hard plastic dust cover(w enough room to close patched), using the bumper screw placement to mount a handle or shoulder strap, etc.

1 Like

Maybe look for an MDLR header board. The ones I have in my MDLR case are solid. Also, the Doepfer PSU3 has gotten the highest praise for its power filtering (sharper lines). That combo of MDLR board and Doepfer PSU might work best for a DIY setup if you can’t source a Malekko board.

Are the power supplies in ADDAC cases unofficially recommended for LZX modules?

I was looking for rackmountable cases and came across this Video Circuits FB post it seems that they are sufficient. These are the cases I was looking at in particular (I had trouble find details on the power supply): ADDAC902 19'' Rack Series - Frames & Power - Products - ADDAC System | Instruments for Sonic Expression