Capture and recording interface recommendations

Thanks again for being part of this awesome community!

Some answers of questions nobody has asked :rofl: - but maybe it could be useful for people starting on this topic like me two months ago, saving a lot of money :thinking:

I do not own any LZX-module yet (shame!)
Core modules of my setup are currently two Erogenous Tones Structure!

Capture devices mentioned here are reflecting some personal experiences for MacOS (can’t comment on any solution for Windows).

Everybody recommended the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle, which works perfectly fine, a long as you are working on an INTEL MAC. Newer M1 or M2 Macs are not supported!

For my M2 MacBook Pro (2023) the Black Magic 3G recorder is a super choice as a capture card (not even expensive)!

I made a comparison video on Intensity Shuttle (capture and upscaler) and 3G recorder + cheapo-upscalers:

Since I wanted to get away from all those adapter and upscaler-/capture-combinations,
I gave the Black Magic Ultra Studio Mini a try:

Here, I was able to capture, but was not able to upscale to 1080 (the settings were grayed out in BM-Media express, but I also failed in OBS). No Idea, what went wrong here (maybe related to M2 - I don’t know). Super annoying fact (at least for me): you her the fan running ALL THE TIME!

My current (and final solution) is the combination of a RetoTink 5Xpro and the Black Magic Recorder 3G:

Quality of the RetroTink is absolutely awesome!

Still off my to-do list:
Rescanning of my tiny 5" PVM-6041QM with a Black Magic Pocket 4k (Sigma 56mm f 1.4)

7 Likes