Wow - So Memory Palace Can Work Standalone?

Hi all,

I was just watching the 4th Memory Palace vid on YT (about still photograph manipulation) and learned that the MP can work as a completely standalone unit. This is huge!

As I indicated in my 1st recent post, I have been away from video synth stuff for a couple of years. When the whole Orion series was launched was there a “launch package” (sorry, I speak as an ex-product manager from Silicon Valley, some sins can’t be washed away :wink: that detailed this? Is there a PowerPoint or PDF that show the capabilities of the Orion series as standalone units as well as in a modular LZX rig? If so, can someone direct me to it on the web site please. If this hasn’t been done I’d love to help put something like this together. In any case, I’m even more excited as I learn more about the Orion modules. Way cool, Lars!

Cheers,

d

6 Likes

Hey @dubbmann ! There’s no singular demo or details package that explains the whole series currently. We’ve got a Wiki post going with some of the gathered notes about the Orion modules on this thread. It’s open to community editing, add anything interesting you find :smiley:

We’ve also put together some questions we wanted to ask Lars interview-style about the Orion series. I’ll post them here, see if we can build some even better questions!

General Orion Series

• As Lars has mentioned in some comments recently, framestore and memory buffering devices have been on the docket for LZX Industries for many years at this point.
    • What sort of roadblocks were there to developing memory modules until now?
  • The Orion series took approximately 2 years from firm conception in early 2017 to the first Memory Palace units shipping early 2019.
    • How was the hardware selected, and were there any special considerations for keeping it LZX/Eurorack-compliant?
    • How long did it take to develop working prototypes?
    • Were all the modules in the Orion lineup planned from the series’ conception, or did some of the ideas only present themselves after developing your prototype hardware?
  • "I would like to know about the future of Orion, like other “almost ready to produce” modules ideas for 2019-2020, specially in the direction of vector graphics (stroke-to-raster) or video synced down-samplers (be able to use video bandwidth signals on low bandwidth displays like lasers/vectrex)”
    • Above question from @luix

Memory Palace

• The Memory Palace seems to share some inspiration with video editing tools of the past.
    • What instruments from the pioneering days of analog television is Memory Palace most comparable to, and what features do they share?
    • What features are unique to Memory Palace?
  • What Expedition modules make good post-processing for Memory Palace output? Shapechanger comes to mind as a possibility.
  • Including MIDI inputs is a potential game-changer for programming and performance controls
    • Do you think it’s more powerful as a choreographing tool, or as a means for
      live data from audio instruments?
    • Did you have any specific MIDI controllers in mind for the Memory Palace with the 3.5mm connection?
  • Are there any little-known features you’ve recently implemented?

Escher Sketch

• Do you have any tips and tricks for special ways to utilize the Escher Sketch beyond its ability to control x,y coordinates with modules like Memory Palace and Navigator?
    • For instance, what actions control the signals for the Gate 1 and Gate 2 outputs, and what are some of the best use cases for these signals?
  • What’s the maximum sample size the buffer can hold?

TBC2

• TBC2 sounds almost ungodly powerful in terms of integrating external signals into the LZX system. Is there any kryptonite we should be aware of, in case it gains sentience and attempts to overthrow mankind?
  • Any video signals it can’t handle out of the box that will be updated later?

Diver

• Do you have any preliminary video from your prototype system available that we could drool over?
  • “It would be very interesting to hear a little about the Diver module. I’m into combining audio and video but cannot figure out what it is that this module does. :slight_smile: "
  • Will the phase sliders allow us to move the audio-generated ramps along their axis?
    • How do they actually work if not?
  • How many samples can Diver hold, and of what length?

Fortress

• Fortress is obscured by the mists of the not-too-distant future. Could you elucidate the layout of this Fortress, so that we can strike at its armory when the time comes?
    • In terms of display outputs we can currently achieve with more complex signal chains, what is Fortress’s output most comparable too?
8 Likes

48 Hour Video thank you so much for asking these questions and putting together the videos you have done. I am a visual artist and musician and making the jump into video art has been a big learning curve. I am really looking forward to see the direction all of this takes.

Cheers,
E

3 Likes

I know these questions are for Lars, but it seems like lots of people could share thoughts on some of the more abstract ones like this!

Not that I’ve played with an escher sketch, but panning techniques from audio can be illustrative…

• Maybe map X and Y each to the control inputs of two multipliers which are placed in the path of two signals before reaching their modulation destinations (or processing inputs)… now you can control how much modulation each signal applies to its destination in a linked fashion, allowing for more macroscopic control…
  • Another idea - Escher Sketch+3 crossfaders = “quadraphotic” (as opposed to quadraphonic) panner… continuously interpolate a signal between any of four destinations arranged in an 2d space (the corners of your escher) - maybe some of the destinations are processing chains for the input signal, maybe some of the destinations are actually sending the input signal to modulate other signals, maybe one of the destinations feeds the signal back to a modulation input earlier in its signal path… or maybe you literally have four encoders and are able to send your signal to four different screens! Ha!
  • Conversely, Escher Sketch + 3 Pendulums (or another 2-to-1 xfading solution) will allow you to continuously interpolate four different inputs arranged at the corners of your escher to a single output.
3 Likes

Thanks for the input! Some of these use cases are reminding me of BSO’s Videogrip

3 Likes

in this video you can see a feed from the memory palace
escher sketch X is going through a mix inverter

so the X output is going to both the rotation and zoom one of them is the inverted version
so you can see the simultaneous zoom and rotate action!

it feels really nice to patch up something like that it immediately made me feel like I was making a title screen :slight_smile:

I think Y just went to Hue