Invoking the lineage of computer video instruments from the 1980s and 1990s, the Orion Series Memory Palace introduces digital video transformations and frame buffer memory to the LZX video synthesis landscape.
- An HSV proc amp, multi-mode soft key generator, variable frame delay, 2D transformation engine and flexible compositing pathways provide a workflow designed for a wide range of video feedback techniques. The perfect post-processor for your analog textures.
- Not just just a computer hiding behind the control panel. Dedicated FPGA blocks provide hardware acceleration for powerful real time video processing. Flexible video outputs include 1V YRGB, Composite, S-Video, and DVI-D connections.
- 13 voltage controlled parameters with CV input attenuators and high quality faders for accurate positioning and smooth transitions. 13 broadcast-style illuminated pushbutton controls for satisfying button mashing.
- In frame buffer feedback mode, spatial effects are placed in the feedback path between the keyer and frame buffer memory. The video feed is mapped and multiplied across space and time into endless universes of recursive transformation.
- Memory Palace’s painting mode allows you to draw onto the digital memory canvas using external shapes, patterns or even video sources as your paintbrush. Designed for use with the LZX Escher Sketch stylus pad controller or any voltage control source that generates XY voltages.
Spatial Processor Functions
Memory Palace’s spatial processor is modeled after classic broadcast Digital Video Effects (DVE) processors from the 1980’s and 1990’s. The spatial processor uses digital frame memory to reinterpret the input image, adjusting its positioning, size, aspect ratio, and rotation angle in a nonlinear fashion.
- Multiple selectable modes: Feedback mode places the spatial effects in the processing chain after the keyer. Painting mode places the spatial effects on the input before the keyer.
- X & Y Position displace the input image horizontally and vertically.
- Zoom scales the size of the input image larger or smaller than its original size.
- Stretch adjusts the horizontal / vertical aspect ratio of the image.
- Rotation rotates the entire image 360 degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise.
- Tile mode repeats the buffer image multiple times depending on Zoom and Stretch settings. Kaleidoscopic effects are possible when combined with the rotation control.
- Mosaic mode allows extension of the effects beyond the borders of the input frame.
- Mirror X & Mirror Y functions mirror the entire image across the horizontal and vertical axes.
- X & Y Scroll functions enable continuous movement of the image in any direction, with sliders controlling movement speed.
- Spin function enables continuous clockwise or counter-clockwise rotation of the image with the slider controlling spinning speed.
Soft Keyer Functions
Memory Palace’s soft keyer allows smooth linear transitions from the incoming video and the image stored in the internal video frame buffer. It may source its key mask from luma and chroma keying modes, or may also be used as an alpha channel processor for external ramp gradients and keys.
Multiple selectable modes: Luma Key , Chroma Key , Alpha Processor , and Window Key .
Threshold controls the cutoff of the internal key generator, with behavior determined by the selected keyer mode.
Softness controls the softness of the key edge used when compositing the buffer with the incoming image.
Color Processor Functions
Memory Palace’s color processor can function as a video proc-amp or psychedelic colorizer. When used in feedback mode, it serves as a way to modify each repeat of the buffer image incrementally, creating seamless gradients across time.
Multiple selectable modes: Proc Amp , Colorize.
Hue controls a shift in the angle of the image’s hue, without effecting brightness or saturation.
Cycle mode allows hue to shift continuously, with the Hue slider setting the speed of color rotation.
Saturation controls an increment or decrement of the image’s saturation level. In a feedback loop, it can gradually saturate or desaturate an image with each successive pass.
Frame Buffer Memory Functions
Memory Palace includes uncompressed video memory which stores a stack of the most recent frames it has processed.
- Delay selects the number of frames to delay the image within its feedback loop, allowing complex echoing. While the image is frozen, delay can be used to scan the output across frames in the recent past using the slider or external voltage control. [ Designer Note: We have not yet determined the maximum length of frame delay, but it will likely be 2-3 seconds. Since the delay reiterates into the buffer, the actual visual effect of the delay is much longer across time.]
- Feedback controls the amplitude of the buffer memory as it is fed back into the background of the Soft Keyer. Above its center point, the image will blow out to white, and below its center point, the image will fade to black.
- Freeze button freezes the entire buffer, disabling any writing into it. The frozen image will be held at the output until the frame is unfrozen. Freeze frames can be strobed with the external trigger input.
- Clear button clears the image to black. Useful in painting mode when you want to erase the current drawing and start a new one.
- 667MHz Xilinx XC7Z010 ARM Cortex-A9 Processor with Xilinx 7-series FPGA logic.
- 512MB DDR3 RAM, 4GB eMMC, 16MB QSPI Flash, MicroSD connector.
- Five channel, 40-bit analog-to-digital video interface.
- Six channel, 24-bit digital-to-analog video interface.
- 24-bit digital video transmission interface.
- USB OTG high speed peripheral interface.
- DVI-D/HDMI video output supporting 480p/576p SD progressive output. DVI-D to HDMI connector adapter included. [ Designer Note: We plan to enable other output video format options on the DVI-D connector.]
- USB input for firmware update and future expansion.
- Composite & S-Video (Y/C) video output supporting 480i/576i SD modes.
- Five 1V DC patchable video inputs for Aux, Alpha, Red, Green & Blue channels at 480i/576i SD resolutions. The alpha input is an external soft key input for external masks and shapes, and the aux channel may be used as a modulation source.
- Four 1V DC patchable video outputs for Luma, Red, Green & Blue channels at 480i/576i SD resolutions.
- All video inputs and outputs can be used simultaneously.
- External trigger/gate input with assignable function via settings menu.
- Standard MIDI in and MIDI thru via 3.5mm TRS connectors. Switches on module rear support both Type A and Type B MIDI TRS connections.
- 1.5 inch RGB OLED display for settings menu, with four tact switches for settings adjustment and navigation.
- 13 external voltage control inputs with buffered attenuators for all primary parameters. Switchable from LZX 1V DC to EuroRack 5V DC voltage scales from the settings menu.
- 13 high quality ALPS slide potentiometers, dedicated for each main parameter primary control. Response curve and lag time user adjustable via settings menu.
- 13 high quality NKK illuminated pushbuttons to control performance modes and functions.
- Video Sync/Genlock input and loop thru on RCA connectors. Loop through/terminate switch located near these connectors.
- Video Sync/Genlock output for on RCA connector for use as system master video sync generator.
- Switches for MIDI in/thru pinout mode, for use with alternate pinout connectors.
- EuroRack power connector for standard +/-12V power supplies.
- 2.1mm barrel 12V DC auxiliary power connector optionally supplies power to Memory Palace’s onboard computer to reduce drain on your EuroRack power supply. This can be used with the LZX Vessel case, or with a 1A 12V DC wall-wart power adapter in cases which will not support Memory Palace’s power load. For example: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1238247-REG/marshall_electronics_v_ps12v_2_0a_u_12v_2_0a_power_adapter.html/specs
- Width, 52HP
- Mounting Depth, 50mm
- Power +12V @ 550mA
- Power -12V @ 50mA