Visual Memory + Escher Sketch = Korg Kaoss Pad Entrancer?

Hi all,

First post by a long time lurker. I am massively excited by the new modules Lars is creating and had a basic question. A few years back I asked Lars if he was planning on implementing the Korg KPE VFX functionality in a LZX module and he indicated this was on the drawing boards. I’ve been away from the site and from video synthesis for a while and when I came back I saw the above-mentioned modules. Are these the units that Lars indicated where under development? For those who don’t know, the KPE is a Korg Kaos pad with its X-Y surface married to a bunch of video fx presets. I’m guessing that the Visual Memory does the VFX parts and the Escher provides the X-Y surface. Is that correct? Am I making unwarranted connections? Please help an LZX newbie! BTW, I have two KPEs and worship them so getting the same functionality in new hardware would be like a late Christmas!

Thanks,

d I

Hey @dubbmann , welcome back! I think you may have folded together a couple modules names, but I get what you’re saying – Korg Kaoss Pad looks like it was pretty neat, and the Memory Palace + Escher Sketch should let you achieve similar effects and much more.

And you had the names mixed together for good reason, because Memory Palace+Escher Sketch are typically recommended with the Visual Cortex module. The Visual Cortex is your means of bringing external video into the internal patching LZX 1V DC standard, and it also encodes your system output back to a regular video signal. The Memory Palace is a frame buffer & feedback generator that loads/previews stills and video input for manipulation, and as you’ve seen the Escher Sketch is X,Y control-- but it’s also an X,Y sampler too.

If you’re curious, here’s a fairly simple & quick tutorial series on the Memory Palace:

And here are some Escher Sketch videos:

3 Likes

Hi, thanks for these vids. I’ve been waiting for these modules since my earlier communications and I’m excited to think about how I can incorporate them in my visual manipulation/synthesis. Kudos to LZX for continuing its innovation and, with a hat tip to William Gibson, nailing the ‘cool’ factor.

Cheers,

d

2 Likes