Visual Cortex Component output to Roland V4EX rgb/component input

Hey there, while I am reposting this from a comment in an older thread, it hasn’t got any replies, so I thought it needs it’s own topic. I’m trying to do component output from my visual cortex to rgb/component input 4 on the Roland v4ex. The V4ex has a rgb/component 15 din connection. The first component rca to 15 din cable I bought for this ended up looking like the wrong colors. I couldn’t find any settings about color space (ie rgb and component) for that input. I think I got a bad cable and and returned it, visual cortex output from cvbs and svideo is fine, but there is a slim chance that my third owner VC needs servicing, the face plate text is mostly missing :sweat_smile:. Does anyone else have success connecting the component YPbPr output from visual Cortex to the component/rgb input 4 on the v4ex? What cable did you use? I did find something in the manual later on about needing to be in 1080i mixer output settings for the rgb/component output to be YPbPr and that 1080p will be rgb output, maybe the same applies for rgb/component input? For now I’m in a holding pattern on buying a new adapter cable until someone with some experience can respond. :crazy_face: :vulcan_salute:

2 Likes

I have a V4EX and have had limited success getting the VC component output to work with the mixer. If you want to link the cable your working with, I would be willing to compare results so that if nothing else we can rule some stuff out or see if we are getting the same sort of output.

1 Like

It’d be interesting to compare output imagary from both systems into input 4 & see if the incorrect colours are similar or not. Use some simple ramps into the VC ch.A & B inputs, default colour settings for example.

Are you able to test the Cortex YPbPr output with anything other than the V4ex?

2 Likes

I ordered another vga to component adapter cable.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=301&cp_id=30106&cs_id=3010605&p_id=2170&seq=1&format=2
I’ll see if master output settings on V4ex might fix the issue when it arrives. It does look like it could be rgb input of a YPbPr source that’s making the color off. I’m also going to test RGB output of the memory palace with this theory when the cable arrives.

@Robbertunist If I use the cvbs and svideo from the VC into input 4 at the same time as the component, the cvbs and svideo colors are correct.

My receiver in my living room can take component input, I might move the rig over there for a test sometime if the new cable doesn’t work out. But since there are other reports about this input being an issue, I’m guessing it’s not the Visual Cortex’s problem.

1 Like

Are you sure this is a component input and not a VGA connector? If its VGA, then the H/V sync signals will be missing. You could test this by using a Component->VGA converter.

All the VGA breakout cables I’ve seen provide the H/V sync signals too. There are matrix switchers that use 5 signals, RGBHV, on BNC connectors. I suspect that’s the kind of device the breakout cables are for. If so, perhaps someone could DIY a VGA output module for a VC using the headers on the back of this module. Perhaps this VGA output module could take the VC’s HV signals from the sync bus header and the RGB signals from the output decoder header. Then you could simply connect a standard VGA cable to the V4EX input. Disclaimer: I may have totally misunderstood everything, of course. I’m just reading the documentation for devices and standards, and wildly speculating.

Anyway, this is a fascinating thread. Good luck!

2 Likes

NOT being an Electronic or Electrical Engineer, I think @Nerdware’s immediately above idea sounds great :star_struck:
@Fox, @luix, @syntonie, @VisibleSignals, @reverselandfill, who’s got a mixer with a VGA input & the time & interest to try this? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the ideas, the V4ex manual states

So I am assuming this 15 pin vga to component cable I ordered from Monoprice is correct.
@Genlok also confirmed this is likely the correct cable, has had success connecting to v4ex with a similar cable, and thought maybe I had a bad cable the first time. He also suggested setting input 4 settings to 480i instead of auto.

Cable shipped yesterday, so I’ll report back once it arrives and I do some testing.

2 Likes

Should work if you use the right adapters/splitters… its similar to the “Vidiot Component
Ouput” hack.

check this post from the FB group

1 Like

Neat, thank you for sharing!
But I don’t think anything like that will have to be done.

My plan b is that I have a Retrotink 2x-pro that can convert the component to hdmi
:blush:

This cable will work I can confirm, because I have a Edirol V4EX with that cable and my visual cortex.

3 Likes

I cant find my V4EX walt wart, wanted to take a screenshot of the settings I have to share with you, because its probably that also what you are missing.

I’ve used these for two years with no issues.

I use the v4ex for live applications and not to capture usually. The v4ex has a tiny hiccup with lots of feedback. It’s not too bad for live but for recording it stands out to me.

3 Likes

Well I tested the cable today and it looks proper now.
Interestingly trying to set input 4 resolution at 480i created an improper output, but automatic works.
The color looks better and a bit different than s-video now due to the increase in quality, but not different enough that it looks it was missing a color channel with the previous bad cable.
The idea that I could get RGB input from MP didn’t work.

My experience has been very stable with feedback and V4ex and V4, I use it for all my work. It’s great for composites with the keyers, various mix modes, and mirroring. My most unstable device, fluxus duo, I run through structure in a loop with the VC, and things are good, no loss of signal, great glitch and bent video processor looks. I think if I used fluxus duo direct with the V4ex it could experience signal sync loss / black frames though. Previously I was using an original V4 for feedback loops with vidiot and it was all good.

What kind of hiccups have you encountered @ebbflo ?

1 Like

It hangs for a tenth to quarter second. I think it may be that the buffer to the internal scaler fills up and resets. That is what it looks like. At any rate in those circumstances, I am just feeding the cortex into the v4ex->monitor or capture device and not taxing the v4ex in any other way.
I also find it can flatten some colours slightly.
Neither of these things keeps me from using it live though.

3 Likes

Interesting, I should try some VC component captures with the Retrotink and compare how the colors look. Might change some studio workflows. Thanks for the tip. :blush:

1 Like

@ebbflo have you tried increasing the color setting on the V4ex input 4, I haven’t gone over 100 yet, but in theory maybe that could produce closer to source. Going to test it this weekend against the retrotink.

No, the color issue I could correct from the synth to get what I want from the v4ex it’s the “choking” slow motion hanging that ruins the flow. And again, it may not be an issue for many. I specifically like to get my direct feedback smooth, contained and controlled, so that choking breaks the flow.
But I have never noticed anyone stop dancing in a live use scenario.
I stair at feedback for long periods of time.

Interesting, I can’t recall encountering this, curious what it looks like if you have any clips, or more specifics of the setup with that to share. Personally I was worried about the flat colors, but not totally sure what to watch out for this feedback hanging, some static frames it sounds like? I was doing crt feedback with the v4ex, vidiot, and a Sony HDR-FX1 and hadn’t caught this yet, but recently I’ve been using structure+VC, and vidiot in loops with memory palaces to get similar feedback fun. If you don’t see this issue when mixing live, could it be an issue with capture methods? I had lots of problems with dropped frames when I used to use a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle. But been super smooth since I switched to an Atomos Ninja 2.

I’m sorry I was unclear. I do see the hangs any time I view my feedback through the v4ex, it is just not a concern for live applications. It does bother me to see it but it is a good mixer.
In the studio I do not need the mixer for capture. I just use it to port out to more monitors.
I have recordings of the issue but have deleted them from my video accounts.

1 Like