Vidiot Luma Detail parameter

Made a quick little video to show what I mean:

This is a camera pointed at an image on my laptop screen (this was quickest right now). The first ~20 seconds are just CV from the slope output of a MakeNoise 0-Coast into the CV input for the detail parameter. At about 20 seconds I turn on solarization and then adjust the brightness and contrast.

But as you can see, especially in the enlarged details at left and right, the edges alternate between quite distinct and soft.

I probably should’ve shown the effect without the added CV input too, for comparison, as well as done a better job adjusting the CV level parameter for longest possible sweep, but this gets the idea across, I think.

8 Likes

what is that rca cable youre using?

These?
Stackable RCA cables

3 Likes

Thanks for this very helpful thread. I went to the helpdesk specifically to find info on the detail control, as I was convinced it doesn’t work on my unit. I simply wasn’t able to produce a single example where it made a difference. But I learnt so much instead. It is indeed subtle, but it works, and having had the Vidiot for only a couple of months, I also learnt other tricks from the discussion. Thanks all!

2 Likes

same for me! I’m just discovering the vidiot, and i was thinkin that somethin doesnt work good on the luma processor especially in the detail knob, but now is clarified…i would like to start using a video input soon…

try plugging the luma RCA output into the Video input and mess around with some settings
feedback typically looks very nice with the detail knob!

Mmm…when i try to connect luma output to camera nothin come out…possible i m Makin some patch error or i need to flip the cable?

it doesn’t look like you have anything plugged into the video input on the vidiot

the little circles with the black filling around the jacks means they are outputs the ones with just the circular outlines that are unfilled are inputs

LZX input/output is simply talking about 1/8th inch inputs
if you want to sync to your LZX setup take a composite out from VC into the sync input and then take whatever you want to process into the LZX video input

Yes, it looks like you’re patching an output to an output here!

I got some direction from Dan about trying to adjust the Detail effect via a trimpot on one of the Vidiot boards. I finally tried it today, and it made a very noticeable difference in the magnitude of the effect. I recommend it. But… note that opening your Vidiot likely voids any warranty from LZX.
I set the panel knob to 12 o’clock and adjusted the PCB trimpot until saw change in image. Then it had a notably stronger effect.

6 Likes

I’m very tempted to do the same. Warranty issue aside, is this easy and risk-free as it seems to be? Did anyone else do the same?
I’d also be curious to hear @creatorlars comment about this. Any reason for us not to make this effect more noticeable?

2 Likes

Please, go for it if you are confident in disassembly! As long as you don’t break anything carelessly we’ll still honor the manufacturers warranty. We’ll be publishing a recalibration guide soon.

8 Likes

@creatorlars Hi! Any news about how to recalibrate this? I made a couple of attempts but I couldn’t notice any big changes. First I rotated the trimpot by 180° from its original position. Then I made a second attempt by rotating it again by 90°. Since the operation requires to disassemble and then reassemble the Vidiot before checking for any results, I don’t feel comfortable in doing further random attempts.
drumasaurusrex - any tips?

Anyone got a pic of this trim pot? My detail knob seems to work fine but I wanna see if I can get some more blur out of it