Video mixer questions

Hi!

I don’t have any experience with video mixers and I was hoping if I get one I would be able to mix my television’s output with a live video camera output with that camera focused on the television screen. Would I encounter any sync issues with this or could I go as far as to get a cheap / basic mixer to accomplish this without any issues?

Is there anything else I should consider seeing as this mixer will be used with my LZX and BPMC gear?

Thanks!!!

1 Like

Some mixers have a built in TBC (like the edirol v4/v8), and if so it will be fine. otherwise you need to have a camera with genlock or some way of synchronizing the inputs.

2 Likes

Thanks Transistorcat, looks like I need to get myself a mixer with TBC, cheers! :slight_smile:

In case you haven’t searched, there are several other threads about mixers:

2 Likes

the old panasonc video mixers are nice but bulky and possibly noisy. i like the edirol mixers since they are small and packed with features

2 Likes

Has anyone ever used both the Edirol V4 and the V8? I have a well used V4 & like it but just saw a V8 come up on offer for a cheap price & apparently with little use. I’m tempted.

1 Like

I have both and use them in different situations. The extra four input channels on the V8 are very handy, as are the S-video and VGA ports. I prefer the V8 blackout slider over the V4 blackout knob. On the other hand, the V4 is smaller, lighter, and creates more classic noisy feedback blooms.

3 Likes

The differences that make an upgrade to a V8 100% worth it for me:

1. Very usable built-in feedback effects (one of which is actually a framebuffer delay)
  2. One channel of VGA in, for easy computer input
  3. Loop thru of all the inputs

More discussion of V8 here, incl. video examples of feedback effects.

3 Likes

Thanks @Dewb & @sean for the info & the link :+1:t3:
I wasn’t aware of the feedback effect or of the VGA in.

1 Like

Hey :))
Thx for these details ! Does anyone know if the edirol V-440-HD also include a TBC that worth it ?

1 Like

@fgnermood
I used the V440 as the heart of a system for several years and never had sync issues.
I have since moved on and have one to sell if you need one.

my biggest hurdle with sync was always VHS input and back when I was using the V440 as the heart I had the VHS playback deck coming into a V4 which came into the SD side of the V440.

however I also used to capture various VHS tapes I found via VHS deck > V440 > BMD hyper intensity shuttle > computer so I know it works.

just looking at the block diagram now

it looks like each of the 4 busses has a frame synchronizer

2 Likes