Budget Video Mixer

Thanks in advance for any suggestions …

I’m looking for a budget video mixer, and thought the Panasonic MX-50 might be a good place to start. Problem is, the only MX-50 mixers I can find online are listed for ‘parts’.

Any ideas on where I could find a used MX-50 mixer ? or something equivalent?

I’m a n00b, so want to buy good quality but don’t want to spend crazy either.

Regards,

JayB.

1 Like

Thanks for the speedy reply.

Complete n00b to video.

I currently have the vidiot, and looking to build up a bit at a time.
Saw a post on LZX Facebook where someone was using the vidiot and a mx50 mixer.
Looked interesting, so I thought it might to be fun to add a mixer.
Also looking at maybe getting a Staircase.

1 Like

the mx50 was the top of the line. If you can get one for cheap, go for it.
but there are other mixers to consider too.

here is a good overview of some:
https://community.lzxindustries.net/t/what-are-you-using-outside-of-your-lzx-system-for-video-mixing/804/3

Personally I get very cool results from mx10 mixers (buy them for 5 to 50 euro). the effects are funky and the keying is cool. also; machine feedback!

The mx30 has some nice features too.

if you want something more modern, look for the Edirol options

3 Likes

Videonics MX1 does a decent job and is relatively affordable. Four inputs, preview out, tons of transitions, chroma keying, freeze frame…
I will say it’s a bit lofi, which works with my aesthetic. You said ‘budget’, right? :smile:

4 Likes

Hi, I love the MX50 and they have definitely become hard to find in the last couple years. (A sign of the growth of our hobby, I would say!).

If you want a mixer to use with the Vidiot, you really can’t do better than the Edirol V4. They are half the price they used to be (you can get them for $300-400) and having separate STROBE effects on the A and B busses is a great tool for playing with the Vidiot. I really recommend you start there.

The other Panasonic mixers are awesome for feedback. The Videonics mixers are very cool for how plasticy they look (they are NOT toys! I was shocked to discover this).

Good luck!

5 Likes

Hi there, I have several Panasonic MX-50’s for sale here: https://offerup.co/pgrc0J3RwT

Joe

1 Like

Hello. I already own an mx-1 for internal feedback and i love the effects but it’s kinda limited in terms of live performance.
I want to expand with another mixer and I have two options in sight. Option A is numark avm02 which seems designed for live VJing. Option 2 is panasonic mx-30, also very tempting.
The techniques I’m planning to use are optical feedback, chroma or luma keying, internal feedback, vidiffektor.
The avm02 has individual previews for all 4 inputs, may provide lots of feedback fun? But what stops me is the higher price and I haven’t read/seen much about it.
Any thoughts?

1 Like

mx-30 doesnt have chroma key, only luma. check out the edirol v4

1 Like

The Sima (SFXm, SFX9) mixers are really cheap, have luma & chroma keying, and TBCs. The Panasonic WJ-AVE mixers are also a good deal.