Orion series CV input range

How do the attenuators on the Orion series modules handle standard Eurorack voltage levels?

Is it correctly understood that setting the attenuator knob to 20 percent lowers an input CV range from 0-5V to 0-1V?

1 Like

I can only comment on Diver and non-Orion LZX modules.

Your results may vary depending on the signal source. E.g. my experience with Sloth modules is that its hard to get the levels right even using attenuators, partly due to the signals being so hot, partly due to them being so slow, and partly due to the signals being, well, chaotic. That’s a feature of this modulator, but it makes it harder to use with video modules.

Diver handles standard LZX 0-1V signals well, but hotter signals cause difficulty, esp when they go beyond 5V. So 10V peak to peak signals may be particularly troublesome. You can use the module’s attenuators, but I recommend using something else to get finer control. You might also consider stacking attenuators!

The cheapest option I know is a passive attenuator module, like the WMD Quad Attenuator. This will really help with 0-10V signals, e.g. a passive attentuator plus the attenuator on an LZX module. Even if you have a Bridge module, this will free the active multiples for other uses.

1 Like

I agree you likely need to use a step down conversion on the Volt range. The attenuators on Diver would still end up with a clipped signal as I think as it’s not adjusting the range of the source signal, it’s adjusting the depth of the source applied to the input. The LZX DIY Cadet V Scaler I think is capable of being built this way for a down conversion, but hard to tell from the website. brownshoesonly 5:1 is a great option too with 8 converters. Bridge is great too, but only two convertors, which can run out fast depending on your use case. I have a bridge and 5:1 in my setup, use them a lot with 5V range sources.

3 Likes

Aha! I was unaware of 5:1 - its been a while since I last checked the BSO site. Thanks.

1 Like

Interesting idea with stacking there, I would theorize that one could run a 10V signal through a 5:1 or whatever divide by 5 device twice to get the 1V range.

1 Like

That should work too, but I think the signal would be very weak. 0.4V max. That’s still useful. Obviously there are other combos. a single /5 scaler from 5:1 or Bridge plus an attenuator set halfway should give you 1/10. A passive attenuator is more useful for inputs without builtin attenuators, like the crossfader and mixer sections on Bridge, or the through inputs on Passage. Nevermind the BSO Scanner!

1 Like

Let’s not forget that the Eurorack format was never strictly adhered to after its creation. Some designers thought the 10V limit didn’t mean +5&-5 for a bipolar LFO.
Anyhow, I find the LZX Cadet Scaler to work just fine and having a mult next to it helps spread the lovely signals.
The #Wrangler from @VisibleSignals’s recently launched Visible Signals biz in Australia has to be considered to. I’m building one atm, if you’re in Europe I can mail it to you for a home demo session, at your expense of course :wink:

3 Likes

Nonlinearcircuits do run pretty hot! +/-10V is the norm for their chaos…
That said, Andrew lives in a pretty hot place, 40°C is the norm for him:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CJxTfe_hAXC/ :hot_face:

2 Likes