Audio Sequencers and LZX Systems

I’m curious about introducing some form of sequencer into my LZX system and there are many audio sequencers out there to play with. I know some say they have has their Pressure Points and Brains (Make Noise) modded to work with LZX. I think Lars has this setup. @creatorlars

So my questions are:
a. Will an out of the box sequencer work? If so, will the 5v/1v just make it largely difficult to work with.
b. Instead of modding a sequencer to play nice, could something like Bridge convert whatever needs converting. (Which leads to.)
c. What actually needs to be modded for a audio sequencer to work best with an LZX Eurorack system? I get modding CV values but when it comes to gates I have no idea.

Thank you.

1 Like

Bridge should work just fine. In addition certain modules have attenuverters on the cv inputs that can help tame values. Depending on the sequencer you can just limit the sequences to 0-1v values.

3 Likes

Besides using Bridge to scale the voltage, if you’re using your sequencer at audio or LFO rate, you should have no trouble scaling its output by passing it through a plain old attenuator, such as a Shades or Triatt or 2hp Trim or whatever. Just dial down the attenuator and run your sequencers CV output through it and it’ll do roughly the same thing as Bridge in this case. (The nice thing about Bridge besides the fader and mixer is that it can attenuate or amplify, or just be a mult, and can handle video rate signals.)

Or, if you’re using a quantized CV sequencer and you don’t need too fine of CV variation, you can just keep your sequence within the lowest octave, which should be 0-1V (since we’re dealing with a 1V range per octave). That’ll give you 12 different voltage levels to sequence with, and no need for a Bridge or attenuator module. The drawback with this method is you won’t be able to tune the voltage levels, so if you need to dial in something between the voltage an E corresponds to and the voltage an F corresponds to in order to get what you’re modulating just right, well, then you should probably stick with the Bridge/attenuator method.

2 Likes

If you’re up for diy you could build a scaler, from the cadet series. Cheaper than bridges, but requires little bit of work.

1 Like

I can report good results using the new Permutation and Variant modules with LZX. The builtin attenuators on both modules make additional scaling unneccessary. I can get 3 scaled voltages using just P&V, and some other uses, like using a gate to switch a crossfader, don’t require scaling at all. I’ll no doubt discover more as a I delve deeper.:boom::dizzy:

2 Likes

unless you’re are looking for jumpy cuts. I suggest using a slew on top of the sequencer. this will give you some nice fades, possibly under cv.

Also keep an eye out for the LZX 8 Stage Quantizer, which can be clocked much faster.

3 Likes

Thanks Nick. Jumpy could be quite nice for delay trails with the upcoming memory palace.

I know of the LZX module you speak of but I only ever heard one mention of it actually existing. One vendor claims to have one new in stock. But I’ve never seen it in use on a video or discussed.

2 Likes