Monitors that can do analog HD?

In preparation of the upcoming LZX modules/instruments being analog HD capable, what are some recommended or favorite monitors that can support this? (I have pretty much zero experience with HD video gear, so if this question is silly in some way or I’m using the wrong terminology, please let me know.)

2 Likes

I picked up a used Dell 2407WFP 24" LCD for cheap, it had Composite, S-Video and Component inputs alongside VGA and DVI.
It can handle up to 1080i on Component, currently using it with Visual Cortex and it has me “future proofed” for the Chromagnon.

Two features I really appreciate is the ability to easily pivot it to Portrait mode, and PIP capability.

3 Likes

Ah, this gives me a good place to start looking. I guess I didn’t realize that there’d be consumer LCD monitors like this. Figured it’d all be extra-hard-to-find CRT broadcast monitors.

My own ignorance aside, if anyone has more recommendations and suggestions, keep the thread going.

1 Like

Component video is really pretty common - probably more in the consumer world. Low end professional will likely only have composite. Probably not too easy to find a HD crt - they are out there but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are still in use.

1 Like

Sony trini phms. Can ONLY do HD component video. Will not display 480 over component so no cortex or ambry component converter plus composite signal

Some hd v440 feedback

3 Likes

Some later consumer CRTs were capable of HD. But, if I recall correctly, generally only the big boys — the kind that weigh ~100 pounds (~45 kg).

Rack mountable, component, 1920x1200, discontinued but can be found:

1 Like

Most larger monitors designed for video and broadcast seem to still support Component/YPbPr. Here’s one that has YPbPr loopthru:

A foolproof option is to just have a YPbPr to SDI A/D box (like the BMD Analog to SDI) and use SDI monitors. Folks are unloading the BMD Analog-to-SDI cheap these days because it doesn’t do 4K. But for LZX Gen3 it’s perfect, topping off at 1080i60.

5 Likes

From what Ive found sdi feedback doesnt naturally pull color and shape (it’s still/black w just feedback) but with a video source in an sdi feedback path to seed it, it generates really beautiful and smooth feedback textures

I’ve been looking into something to use besides my Sony Broadcast 19" SD CRT, it’s great but the CRT radiation does bother my eyes after a few hours since it’s so close to me. I contacted some broadcast monitor sellers about older stock, but they said since I’m mixing with a v4ex which also has HDMI output, it’s always going to be cheaper to use a computer monitor. When I can budget it, I’ll probably get something like an HP dreamcolor for the color accuracy. The 24" G2 runs about $300 - $500 used. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802350490-USE/hp_1jr59a8_aba_dreamcolor_z24x_g2_24.html But I am also really interested in cheap older monitor solutions that have SDI input too like @creatorlars posted there, nice option!

1 Like

Flanders AM/BM series monitors!

2 Likes

Sony BVM A and D series CRTs do SD and HD up to 1080i60 (including dual link RGB input). The ones with component inputs are very expensive because of retro gamers unless you get lucky. If you find one with SDI and composite only it will generally be cheaper. There are also broadcast LCDs from 15 or 20 years ago with 1920x1080 panels and component inputs that aren’t crazy expensive. Not as bright as a CRT or consumer TV but a good color reference. The cheapest “good” solution is probably a relatively recent native 1080p TV from someone who’s upgrading to 4k. Just make sure to go into the menus and zero everything out.

1 Like

I run to a 47" Plasma, the colors are vibrant and beautiful.

Most older LCD and Plasma TV’s have all the input types you could ever use

Those Flanders displays are droolworthy!!

3 Likes

Anybody know anything about this? A 4:3 LCD with component in?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1371662-REG/laizeske_lzedr150s_15_aluminum_design_1024x768.html/specs

This one doesn’t appear to be full 1080 HD.

Here’s the manufacturer’s site:
http://www.laizeske.com/ShowInfo.aspx?id=550&py=15-Aluminum-Design-1024768-HD-Pro-Broadcast-LCD-Monitor-with-3G-SDI-HDMI-AV-YPbPr-DR150S

SDI Support Format

480i/576i
720p(60/59.94/50/30/29/25/24/23.98)
1080i(60/59.94/50)
1080p(60/59.94/50/30/29.97/25/24/24sF/23.98/ 23.98sF)

HDMI Support Format

480i/576i/480p/576p
1080i (60/59.94/50)
720p (60/59.94/50/30/29/25/24/23.98)
1080p (60/59.94/50/30/29.97/25/24/24sF/23.98/ 23.98sF)

2 Likes

Okay. That is the formats that the monitor supports.
Looking at the same page, it says that the pixel resolution of the panel is 1024x768 pixels. That’s what I was meaning.
It will accept signals in the higher resolutions, but it will have to downscale them.

1 Like

Also keep an eye out for used Broadcast LCDs from the Major manufacturers (Sony, Panasonic, JVC, Ikegami). Similar to the Flanders/Marshal listed above -These usually have a plethora of inputs, superior color accuracy for video gamuts, built in waveform/vectorscopes, split screen and for you CRT fans - they WEIGH A TON. I have a high- hour Panasonic that is still going strong, I think I got it for $125 locally. Shipping will be the bugbear on these.

1 Like

These tend to pop up now and then, anyone have experience with them?
PANASONIC 8" BT-LH80WE