Monitors that can do analog HD?

Looks like it will work: there is a list of valid formats here

1 Like

I have a Sony 14L5 pvm I picked up from an electronics warehouse ebay seller in town a few years ago. It’s one of the last crt models I believe, so it’s less likely to have put 10,000 hrs into mastering component burnout :laughing: there’s no built-in screen hour counter with this model.

The only monitor I want more is the 20l5.

You and every hardcore retro gamer :smiley:

Hey, component video is still quite viable. Many smart TVs still have a YPbPr input. It’s just on a different connector nowadays. It’s a 3.5mm mini jack with four conductors, TRRS. When I bought my most recent Samsung TV, it came with a breakout adapter, 3x female RCA → male TRRS.

Be aware, however, that digital monitors always introduce some amount of latency, which is bad for interactive, audio reactive, and optical feedback applications. This is one reason why retro gamers are so obsessed with CRTs. You can minimize the latency on a digital TV by going into the settings and enabling Game Mode, and/or disabling all of the extra BS that “enhances” the picture.

If you have the budget for it, nothing beats a broadcast monitor. I have seen some nice JVC flat panels on eBay that have YPbPr inputs.

2 Likes