Memory Palace V19 Firmware Release March 2020

Sounds great - thanks for the info! Looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

Hey folks. Just wondering something about the V19 firmware. In V18 when in the WARP mode, I was able to have the original keyed image stationary in the foreground with the feedback in the background that could be zoomed, moved, rotated, stretched as needed. I believe this was just a matter of selecting the routing of the keyer(?). Am I missing something, or has that option been removed from V19? If so, would be nice to have that feature back in a future update.

Also, incase it hasn’t been mentioned yet. In lieu of notched sliders to indicate the dead zone, it would be nice if the display noted when the slider was at the 0 position. Either with a value, or a colour, or other indicator.

Oh, and this was a suggestion that I made previously for the V19 firmware, but it doesn’t look it made the cut. It would be great to have option for what the rotation is relative to. The way I prefer the rotation orientation is so that when adjusting vertical or horizontal movement, the rotating object moves relative to the display, not relative to the rotated frame’s orientation. Does that make sense? In other words, if the object is rotating, adjusting the Y slider up will always move the object up no matter where the frame is in its rotation.

Thanks!

[Edit: I wrote all of that not realizing that a Beta v20 firmware was released eons ago. Apologies if any of the above was addressed in V20]

3 Likes

just another little possibly bug report
when in paint mode you can use the softness slider as a decay so that your paintings fade out.

this is awesome!
I’d love to see a bit more decay time possible. It seems like there is a tiny jump between not fading out and fading out pretty fast.
(using latest firmware)

however if reflect or tile are on then softness seems to stop working altogether.

Are there future plans to add in a snapshot feature from the ARGB inputs? I wouldn’t imagine it could do full frame rate sampling but I’d be very interested to see an extension of the animation looping where individual frames could be directly pulled into the Media Loader in Memory Palace.

2 Likes

You can already loop the most recent 64 frames of incoming RGB (using Freeze and A/B in any mode but Warp). To put that into the Media Loader, you’d have to capture your video output, split into frames, and load back into Memory Palace via the usual route (which is fun to do over and over again).

1 Like

Yup, that’s roughly my current process for playing back animations with content generated within the LZX system. Just trying to save a few steps. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

When you’re playing through frames on the media loader, it would be cool to have an option to add a fade transition between frames rather than being a hard cut.

1 Like

Any hints on when we’ll see some updates to memory palace?

Any hints on when we’ll see some updates to memory palace?

Release of a bugfix update to clear some existing issues is in a WIP state right now (but being actively worked on.) We should see that in 2021.

I’m reserving Q1 2022 next year just to bring all the firmware to the same place, so that’s when we’d see Memory Palace integrate some of TBC2’s new code. From that point, we should have our development pipeline stabilized and be much more responsive across all products. This is the current plan.

10 Likes

Read from this post down for info on that:

1 Like

To elaborate a bit:

I don’t have all of those answers for you right now. We haven’t reached any firm decisions on what will change about the Mk2 hardware, or when that change will happen. We have not done extensive testing of Memory Palace to determine it’s capability to run natively in any of the new Gen3 sync modes. Only that we need to make the revision before it goes back into production. Since Memory Palace is one of our main products, getting it back into production is a priority. So we’re planning for Q1 2022, which is probably the first we’d be able to tell you more.

Our main mission will be to ensure that firmware development will continue on Mk1 and Mk2 hardware platforms in parallel.

Whatever the case with hardware sync/processing modes capability – remember, your Gen3 system can always run in NTSC & PAL modes and be 100% compatible with anything before Gen3. So at a minimum, there is full backwards compatibility already planned.

6 Likes

this also makes me wonder how the Escher sketch will do with the new non ntsc/pal sync possibilities

this also makes me wonder how the Escher sketch will do with the new non ntsc/pal sync possibilities

Escher Sketch is much simpler, since there is no video rate outputs or inputs, it can run without sync.

What about using a passage or doorway with the gen 3 modules? Will those expedition modules be able to process Automata signals (oscillators, ramps) that are synced to HD rates?

If they don’t have a sync connection on the back, they’ll just work. Maybe some slight softening of the image but I’d imagine no where close to when using audio rate modules. HD is faster than SD but it’s much smaller jump than from audio rate to video rate signals.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for clarifying that. I had a feeling that might be the case. Hopefully the softness is minor and useable.

1 Like

I really doubt you’ll get the extreme blur you might be envisioning but we’ll all see for certain when we get our hands on these new modules and start patching 'em up!

2 Likes

Yes, this update to Gen3 isn’t a huge bandwidth boost on the analog side or anything. We expect the Gen3 modules to perform a little better on the bandwidth side of things, but most of the update on the circuitry has to do with noise floor and signal integrity in general.

The sync timings are not hugely different from each other. The big resolution increase comes at the point of sampling or digital conversion. An HD signal is sampled with a 74.25MHz pixel clock instead of a 13.5MHz clock typically used for SD signals. So it’s the same analog signal either way. It just gets sampled more times, in HD mode.

So how soft some images get in the HD timings, I don’t know. It’s not the analogue path that’s fundamentally changing – it’s the way that path is being encoded and sampled.

2 Likes

As this topic is supposed to be about Memory Palace V19, I’m going to shut it down. Could y’all post further suggestions/requests for future firmware in this thread?

Questions about Gen3 Modules can go here:

1 Like