Memory Palace V19 Firmware Release March 2020

thanks for the input and help. but I’m just gonna stick this V.18 . This whole update thing was just giving me problems. It kept going to the SYSLOG page and kept telling me to format and restart over and over. I even did the boot from sd card and then it takes me back the the SYSLOG page all over again and takes me in that loop.

Im happy with this old firmware until they figure out a better way to update. Or at least make a detailed instruction on how to do update and if there is problems on how to trouble shoot it.

1 Like

I totally understand your desire to stick with V18. Sorry that V19 has been a hassle.
The firmware update instructions in the User Guide are working for most people, with the addition of following the SYSLOG prompt once, then using the “boot from microSD” button the next time.
If you are using a Mac, it may be necessary to remove and reformat the micro SD card and run CleanMyDrive2 befor installing V19.

1 Like

none of those instructions work.

I downloaded that cleanmydrive app and reformatted my card. Now the SYSLOG page the sd card does not even pop up.

I think that cleanmydrive app really messed up my sd card now.

Even after reformatting and coping the the zip folder of V19 onto it.
Tried doing the boot from sd card and it just goes to blank screen and nothing happens.

If I don’t do the boot from sd card then it just takes me to the SYSLOG loop.

1 Like

Do you have Memory Palace set to internal sync with nothing else plugged in?

Yes. i have it set on Internal sync with nothing plugged into the back.

So i was able to revert the Memory Palace to V18 again.

Here are the steps that I do:

1. turn on memory palace
  2. go to screen that enable usb connection
  3. connect memory palace to computer
  4. load firmware onto the drive that pops up on computer
  5. make sure it overwrites old files
  6. after loaded on memory palace eject from computer
  7. disable usb access on memory palace
  8. Update firmware
  9. memory palace restarts to SYSLOG page
  10. Press yellow + orange buttons to format internal memory
  11. restart modular system with Internal sync switch on and nothing plugged in, also pressing boot micro sd button
  12. turns on with SYSLOG page with the message:

UI INIT OK
SD CARD OK
ERROR : COULD NOT ACCESS INTERNAL MEMORY
PRESS YELLOW + ORANGE BUTTONS TO REFORMAT

1. turn on and same thing happens
3 Likes

Hello everyone. I’m so sorry it’s taken long to complete some missing instructions on this firmware update. The document posted below should clear up any confusion:

1 Like

I’ll drop in over here as well for those not interested in using the FB group.

I finally updated to v19 a few days ago and I’ll confirm experiencing the same issue. I’ve had it happen 3 or 4 times over the last two days.

1 Like

Do you mean that the media you are displaying disappears until you power cycle? Do the menu controls continue to function?

Yes, the image completely disappears and attempting to reload the file has no effect until the system is power cycled.

1 Like

That is very strange. I would expect overall functionality to completely lock up at that point.

I think we’ve found the issue in the V19 code. Firmware improvements are already in progress.
Thank y’all for finding these bugs. Please continue to share any issues you are having.

5 Likes

Do you mean that when you freeze an image in Paint mode, the Clear button doesn’t make it disappear?

It seems that in V19 Paint mode, Freeze doesn’t allow the frozen image to be painted over. When you press Clear, the painting resumes.

Is the Clear button working when you use the Freeze function? That would be the best way to check if your button is working correctly.

This is my experience also, I recall using this feature when I first got my Memory Palace, but have been keeping up with the beta releases and don’t think I’ve been able to use this since the first time I updated the firmware. After engaging FREEZE, the CLEAR button does toggle FREEZE off, so the button is working.

1 Like

Agreed. New MP user here… After watching that 2nd tutorial I definitely felt confused why that wasn’t working. I would certainly see the buffer clear feature being very useful.

2 Likes

Yes i m not able to clear the buffer anymore.
I think i’m going back to the previous OS.

someone on the facebook group asked about slit scanning
I posted a video we made and one that someone else did of slit scanning with the memory palace

It spurred me on to turn the system on and I tried to get slit scanning on the new firmware up and running

I’m having some issues

Slit scanning issue

There are two ways to approach as far as I can understand
both involve RGB coming from visual cortex expander going into the input of memory palace

1 involves using the AUX/A input on memory palace for a ramp output
2 involves changing the routing on memory palace to RGB/Media (loading a ramp on the media, luma key)

so in warp mode using method 2 (RGB from VC> RGB MP | route RGB/media(media on ramp))
things work like I expect where I can use the width/center controls to dial in an amount of the Ramp to use as a key for the incoming RGB video
however when switching over to paint (leaving everything else the same)
It seems like it ends up using the luma from the RGB source instead of the media

now I’ve been playing around with method 1 after messing around with the controls a bunch I dialed it in to something similar I think!
I would still prefer to be working with internal stills as ramp sources doing this kind of thing.

AUX slider

Another issue I’m having my AUX slider doesn’t seem to engage on the screen until it is about 3/4 of the way thrown. On the screen itself the AUX slider only goes to about 50%
Even though it doesn’t show it on the screen it does seem like the part of the slider that isn’t registering on the screen (bottom half or so) is changing things in the system so I guess it is just a UI issue maybe
although maybe this is the normal function and I’m just not understanding

these all have to do with the X&Y params on the memory palace

X&Y parameters if slew is on light/heavy CV in doesn’t seem to work (“value” is unchanged)
CV in reads the values just fine though
some times slider &or value will jump to something other than 100% but then just go right back to it

if X/Y slew are on light/heavy the sliders on MP only works for ~50% of the throw (50-100) when in the 0-50 range it doesn’t change the value

when no slewing is on sliders work in full range though

is there any way to have X&orY sliders on the MP (while X&orY scroll is ON) still scale the scroll time of X&orY while CV is present?

I m doing slitscan too. I went back to V18, it s much straightforward for that kind of practice. Paint mode is unusable without the clear buffer function.