LZX Patch Challenge 3: Flower Power

So many entries! I’m very happy to have contributed in some way to this wonderful community this time :blossom: can’t wait to see everyone’s work.

1 Like

45 minutes and I’m closing entries!

That’s all folks! Stay tuned for voting!

6 Likes

I just finished up getting everything plugged back in and working from moving spaces at the deadline
oh well next one for us!
looking forward to seeing the entries

2 Likes

Dang just found out about this via lzx summery email a couple minutes ago. Maybe next time. :man_shrugging::rofl:

2 Likes

There is a new post for the video and voting.

2 Likes

Voting is over and the winner is… @rempesm! Congrats, Matt!

5 Likes

Thanks @genlok and @Z0NK0UT for organizing another fun challenge!

This is was one of the most satisfying things I’ve ever done with the Memory Palace, so I took a moment the other day to write it up and would like to share. The core of patch is rather simple, the pedal was just a skewed/rotating shape from the gradient out of Navigator + Shapechanger, with the Memory Palace in paint mode. I kept the center of rotation for the flower fixed in the middle of the video field (pre MP) so it wouldn’t clip the edges, then I used the Escher Sketch to control the X-Y placement inside the Memory Palace.

It get’s a little more in depth with one of the trigger buttons on the ES also patched to gate a fader that would show/hide the rotating flower, which I found was faster and easier to perform than using the MP to freeze/unfreeze the frame (so in effect it was always drawing). Also, a vertically scrolling oscillator was used to make the pedals wiggle sideways—to add variety to each—first using the mesh in Memory Palace, but then I switched that to the x-position on Navigator for better resolution because it didn’t mess up the anchor placement. Some other controls on the MP are used to modulate the luma key, scale, aspect, and color. The only eurorack module was a 4-step sequencer (pressure points/brains) that rotated through the colors with each ES trigger. Finely attenuated ‘noise’ from the scrolling oscillator also got mixed into the hue for a tiny bit of chance color variation with each pedal, and an LFO was patched to the delay to make alter their spacing slightly different.

The Memory Palace RGB out is going through the Polar Fringe on the way to channel A of the Visual Cortex, while there is a scrolling mix of ramps, waves, and feedback from the chroma key going through the Mapper on the way to channel B. The luma out on the MP is going to a Doorway (probably not totally necessary in hindsight, but that’s how it got patched up) to key the flowers against the background. When ‘scene 1’ fades into ‘scene 2’, it’s just channel B coming from the Mapper, but since the flowers are the source for the chroma key—which is also going to the mapper—then they are still there in the mix, and all the different colors allow the chroma key to pull out individual flowers or groups for a moment, which is pretty cool.

The whole thing was managable enough that I could fiddle with the joystick on the Polar Fringe, while still adding new flowers with the Escher Sketch, and occasionally change a few things on the MP. Except for getting it all in under a minute—that’s like no time at all! Still, I’m super happy with this patch overall, I learned a ton making it, and I’m certainly going to use it (or something similar) again in a longer form.

Cheers!

9 Likes

My entry (Entry #13: Field of Roses) wasn’t too complicated so I can’t imagine anyone would care for detailed patch notes, but I do want to mention a few points that I found interesting:

• I ended up figuring out how to do some simple compositing in the process since I wanted the stems under (or masked out by) the flower. I inverted the flower “layer” with a Bridge and then used that to multiply the stem “layer” with a Cadet Multiplier.

• One VCO was a Cadet VCO, but the other was a Dixie II+ (I really need/want to get more video VCOs!). Using the Dixie was fortuitous though, because using the sine output gave a nice curve to the the flowers and I used the saw output to VC the hard key of the Cadet VCO in order to make the stems!

Lots of fun! I learned a lot!

3 Likes

I really enjoyed the simplicity of that, though they looked more like tulips to me :wink:

Really phenomenal patch @jevergreen - loved it. You had my vote :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Thx for sharing the patch notes too, I was wondering how you pulled it off. The ES trigger makes alot of sense - I was wondering what your scheme was.

Anyways super cool patch & great work.

Everyone else great patching too, congrats @rempesm on your big win :grin:

6 Likes

Thanks, @Jesse I appreciate the complement! I really liked the watery feedback you had going on! :heart: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The patch challenge is now public.

Thanks to all who entered and voted for another enlightening patch challenge. The artistry never fails to astound and inspire. Congrats to Matt Rempes, the reigning LZX patch challenge champ!

7 Likes

you had my vote, I deeply enjoyed the simplicity!

2 Likes

A little late responding but it was super cool seeing everyone’s entries! Some awesome stuff in there. (special shout out to @esnho 's super satisfying wiggly solid colors :star_struck:)

It was really rewarding trying to make something figurative with my modest(ish) setup. I’m working on a little patch notes video for this one, but like everything else it’ll take a minute, though I’ll be sure to share it when I’m done.

4 Likes

Here is the patch schematic (made with patchbook) for entry #8 meditações sobre flores.

The video actually turned out different than what was showcased in the compilation video. I recorded with the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB which has issues capturing in progressive formats. Nonetheless I encoded it properly and got the expected progressive result which displayed accordingly on my computer. Maybe my player was compensating in some way. I liked the compilation result nonetheless. For reference, here is how I see it played: https://youtu.be/7dkW0C2qedI

3 Likes

Just like with most things I try to get done for myself these days, this took way longer than I wanted it too…

SO. For those still interested, here is the patch breakdown for my entry, in the style of my video synth notebook videos:

6 Likes

What a great video! I love that it uses mostly (or exclusively?) Cadets and Castles. It’s nice to see such a clear patch explanation.

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah, there are a few visible signals modules and a NLC triple sloth in there too, but it’s all diy stuff.

2 Likes

Very pleasing to watch, especially with the entrancing music. Amazing video and great flower patch.

1 Like