Latency of Orion and Automata modules

I have not found any dedicated discussion about latency introduced by digital modules such as Memory Palace and the other upcoming ones such as Chromagnon. I found a few post where the subject was discussed, but have not found any official information from LZX on this topic. In a context of analog video synthesis, this could be a rather important theme for some, including myself.

To start off with some questions, I wonder,

How much latency does the Memory palace introduce to the input video signal?

How much latency is expected between the CV input changes and the result is rendered in the frame buffer and output?
Is there a difference between the ARGB outputs and the composite, S-video and the DVI outputs?

Looking into the future, will the Chromagnon also have a buffer between the input CV control and the output image? Does the latency differ depending on the output interface?

2 Likes

from what I can remember the digital part of chromagnon is the TBC - the actual video path is 100% analog - including the modulation - so no real latency…

3 Likes

There is a bit of discussion of latency here

I’d expect there to be a little latency when you bring video through any digital encoder section. For frame synchronisation, there has to be some latency.

1 Like

So far I’ve mostly noticed latency for audio reactive work. This seems to be due to various factors, like hdmi delay, or the module itself. Audio driven Diver output is several frames delayed more than sensory translator output for example (~7 frames versus 4). I haven’t noticed delay in CV inputs on LZX gear but it’s harder to notice / test.

Are you saying Sensory Translator has 4 frames (~133ms) of latency? There should be almost no latency with an analog envelope follower like that unless it has a really slow rise time.

7 frames is almost into 1970s kung fu movie dubs territory :smiley:

2 Likes