HDMI preview monitor recommendations

May go with this for small preview for V4EX output, and 4-up preview for V40HD, large monitor will be for final V40HD master out. Chain is SD stuff into V4EX, V4EX and HD stuff into V40HD, V40HD to Ninja 2, main monitor and projectors.

The 1 star reviews on Feelworld 7" were concerning, and lack of power supply not great

BMD Analog-to-SDI plus SDI-to-HDMI or equivalent would be my go-to there. When kitting things out, I like to think of using the BMD (or Aja) converter boxes as output expanders to the other gear. For example, adding an Analog-to-SDI is adding an SDI output to my ESG3, or adding an SDI-to-Analog is adding component output to my SDI camera, etc.

4 Likes

Hmm Feelworld and Seetec seem to be the same company, and I can only find the models of the 13.3" and 17.3" that includes scopes under Feelworld branding, however do I really need scopes while recording studio video synthesis work?

You probably don’t need the scopes unless you’ve got multiple monitors/cameras to calibrate as a group. An oscilloscope is handy though!

2 Likes

True that, for a oscilloscope I was thinking of getting this upcoming and compact Korg thing:

The scope including models of the Seetec / Feelworld monitors seem to be sold out, and add about the same cost as this Korg bundle

1 Like

Quite torn, 13.3" seetec for smaller footprint and weight, finer pixel density, 1000:1 contrast ratio, and 400cd/m2 brightness $470

or 17.3" seetec for larger viewing size, but trade off of slightly bigger pixels, 700:1 contrast and 300cd/m2 brightness $530
http://www.seetec.com.cn/ShowInfo.aspx?id=299&py=SEETEC-ATEM173S-17-3-inch-Multi-camera-Broadcast-Monitor-3G-SDI-HDMI-Full-HD-1920x1080

:rofl:

Opinions?

1 Like

Side note on the 10-bit recording conversation, for getting Component to HDMI, without buying a SDI step, this seems to be best option I’ve found so far. Anyone tried it? Unfortunately it can’t do 60p.

Black Magic would require buying their Component to SDI converter, and the SDI to HDMI converter to record via HDMI.

Since I have a Ninja 2, will probably stick with it as recorder until it dies, but those BM camera assist that record HDMI and SDI look great too @wiatrob

1 Like

Also, despite what implied about human eyes, gradients are one area where the eye IS particularly sensitive. I do believe in keeping workflow as high quality as possible. I just don’t sweat it if I accidentally record something in 480i.

Oh and thanks for the kind words @nerdware!

2 Likes

Banding in gradients is really the only human visible sign of 8-bit color innit :rofl:

2 Likes

Went with 13" for easier to integrate footprint, and added benefits of better contrast ratio, brightness, and smaller pixel size. Will report back on the 7" Lilliput and it’s quality soon.

1 Like

Using the lillyput right now. Perfekt as small preview monitor

Yea I have two now and they are working great. The large audio VU is nice as well for setting recording / streaming levels.

13.3” seetec is great too.

DSK luma keyer on the V-40HD is super basic with 15 steps of settings but at least it’s there. Luma white and black on v4ex is much smoother, that with mirror modes is the compositing sauce.

Extensive mirroring should be a gen3 module someday @creatorlars like something that could top Hypno’s fractal mirror modes :blush::pray:

2 Likes

You can do that with Memory Palace, in the keyer/warp modes, by enabling mirror in the feedback loop! But yes, there are many places to go with that still.

1 Like

Yes I used it frequently, but due to the interlacing order errors it introduces in most of the outputs (documented here Suggestion for memory palace firmware - #57 by Dr_Rek) I avoid using it for now. Also it won’t support HD, so a Gen3 mirror module of more supreme capabilities than just x and y mirror is needed someday. Or maybe MP can do finally HD, or at least 480p that doesn’t glitch out someday with newer firmware? (DVI output seems to be progressive, but it frequently glitches out) :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Interesting – are you running the v2.0.1 firmware? Is it just on the image loader, or is it with a live source?

Yes 2.0.1, this is with images and X and y mirror, and reflect modes. It may persist in input as source too but not sure at the moment.

Ah that’s right, we have a v2.0.2 we still need to release. This one includes some fixes for progressive processing modes, and hopefully resolves this issue. Download posted here:

5 Likes

Nice, thank you, glad to nudge it out the door. I will test it soon :partying_face::vulcan_salute:

wondering if any of the larger broadcast monitors have the same USBC expansion port on the BM Video assist monitors that lets you connect to your computer or a drive? I have found it to be a quick and easy way to record without additional hardware. If I like my patch I can just grab the usb cable and “capture from webcam”. Would like to have something a little bigger than 7". 13-15 would be nice. Or am I looking at it wrong and something like an Ultrastudio box would be a more sensible path? Quick and easy capture, connection to affordable monitors, L&R inputs to mix in an audio patch?

Great thread here @Dr_Rek - I also saw Lars write about the Seetec before, how have your experiences been with it? I’m also using the V440HD, what does your current capture flow look like?

On a completely different topic - what would the expectations be with a commercial OLED display?
Aside from the concerns around potential screen burn when deep building a patch, what are the benefits/drawbacks of a 4K OLED display vs the Seetec, for example?

Just curious considering the prices of OLEDs atm. (I had a 30-minute toy around with ESG3 and other Gen3 modules on a friend’s 4-year-old Sony KD55A1 OLED but was conscious about not fucking it up so didn’t play for long)

2 Likes