Eurorack Vidiot? I went for it

i saw this post digging around - betting this is from the earlier design.

Vidiot - Troubleshooting - #10 by creatorlars?

aaaand based around the way things go in parts land i have a feeling its a 1.27mm 2x8 header. (0.050" derp). idk what i was really thinking 1.5 1.3 - lol.

neither is logical because they both convert to something wacky when in inches. because inches is still a thing…

i’m hesitant to bother LZX support (with all the other shit their dealing with atm…) with a ticket regarding essentially me voiding my warranty (albeit in the name of greater good). i will ultimately be prepared for the consequences of what extending the ribbon means - but it may not even come to that.

TBH i think that the angle of the 2x8 header (and the subsequent mating ribbon) makes vertical clearance a no-go. i have not triple checked my math - but will report back when i do.

even if i do not assemble it into ‘rack-mode’, generating the front panel in eagle (with help from fusion) has been fun. the crossover between the two softwares still sucks (understatement) but its been interesting.

nevertheless for my skill set and tools in the shop, this mod, gets a ton easier when i have someone else’s ‘robot’ do the panel drilling (as well as the artwork for that matter) .

you made reference that main-board clearance is dodgy - but im guessing not impossible?

i’m waiting for a knurled nut driver to finish removing mainboard from existing panel. i need to check it against some mockups of the panel i have , and adjust the placement of hole grouping versus the ‘center’ of the mainboard between the rails. this will also help to inform me if i can actually fit my version of the dang thing with the ribbon.

regarding the alleged part(s)
samtec makes a line of 1.27 headers and they are (for a header) very expensive. like 2.50-3.75 each end. the ‘dragon eye’ or some nonsense line ribbon cables for this pitch are just unholy as well. pin to socket 1’ will be like $20 uSD. ffs.

i havent dug around digi or newark, but mouser not cheap!!

normally with this tolerance id just order the part and try it - but its a lot to spend.