Custom stainless steel panels for your video synth modules

Hello everyone, through a friend here in Berlin, Germany, I have access to a laser that can cut 0.7mm steel. The finished panel bends a little without the PCBs & components like jacks & pots but the moment everything is bolted on, the slight flexing disappears. I’ll include a photo below of the Visible Signals Gainbrain panel. I’ll get a couple of other panels cut next week & hopefully more over the coming weeks & months.
If you’ve any requests, brushed metal look for instance, please ask. Oh, & there will be an option to add text & symbol engraving. Maybe also tiny holes to make up the letters in the text, an LED under the panel would look great for coloured lettering.

The knobs are the Sifam/Selco/Intellijel Small skirted ones as seen on the LZX range but with a line rather than a dot on the caps (the top coloured part). I’ve got other colours too just in case you have 3x GainBrains: 1 for each of your RGB channels as seen below in this thread, post no.14.

5 Likes

I was just thiniing it would be nice to do a triple panel for veils!

3 Likes

If you want to keep it black as Fox’s original design is, it’d be best to talk to him but if you want a brushed or mirror steel panel, I can definitely drum one up but I’ll need the measurements. I should have a Veil set coming soon but it may take a, couple of weeks. I’ll check with the guys in the city here to see if someone’s got one coming sooner or has gotten it already, otherwise I could ask Fox for the measurements.
Here’s the same panels with white & blue caps.

Autocorrect mistakes have been fixed.

I’ve been meaning to try to take advantage of the little fab lab at the public library here in L.A. to make some custom panels using signmaking plastic (like this). But it’s been closed for the last 16+ months or so due to Covid.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. The metal looks very slick!

2 Likes

Thanks for commenting Sean :+1:
That’s a shame to read about the public library being closed all this time but I’d often read or heard on the news that L.A. was often riding high in the Cov-19 charts for infection rates & such. Hopefully it’s inproved dramatically with the vaccine rollouts & such.
Signmaking plastic? Cheers for including the link, it’s helpful. I think we used to see more Acrylic panels for small DIY runs here in the past but maybe it’s gone out of favour with more access to lasers & tools to cut aluminium at fablabs. That your public library has a small fablab is incredible :star_struck:

I’ll keep the photos coming as the panels get cut. Hopefully you’ll find a fablab that’s open or doing some stuff outside in a courtyard to get around indoor restrictions for example. Best of luck :+1:

I would like a differentiator panel, please. :slight_smile:
I feel like it’s a waste to order 5 from jlcpcb to just use one.

1 Like

Jez, what an awesome suggestion @Vanta :heart_eyes:
I’ll get working on it tomorrow & hopefully she some ready for next Friday!

I know I already shot you a message but if you would be so kind as to make the VU002 VU005 and VU006 from syntonie in black, I’d be pumped.

2 Likes

Ah, in black! I’ll get looking into it. For now, stainless or brushed steel look is the immediate variates available but I’ll look into colours & black. There’s another obvious option, I’ll look into that & post anything I can divulge :wink:

2 Likes

ah well I am just stoked with the way the gainbrain looks if you have the same finish available.

1 Like

I’d like those in silver, along with all the Castles, Cadets, and reverselandfill modules. Woohoo, @Robbertunist you’re going to fix my mismatched panels problem!

1 Like

@Robbertunist : if you want to make any custom panels for my modules, I can send you the panel design files

3 Likes

Thanks for writing @reverselandfill :+1:t3:
That is really really generous of you, I sincerely appreciate your offer & I’m sure it will be really really helpful at some point soon.
I’ll write the other DIY module designers today & I’ll absolutely respect their wishes regarding offering panels for their module designs.

1 Like

Here’s a 3x Visible Signals GainBrain module setup that are part of a commission I received & thought I’d share here to give you an idea of what’s possible.

Just in case you’re wondering, the knobs (Sifam/Selco) are the same as those found on LZX modules. Sadly I can only source the caps (top coloured part) with lines rather than dots. I’m getting them from Thonk in the UK.
These are the “skirted” ones, the “unskirted” are shorter and don’t look good in my opinion. I could take photos comparing them for anyone curious.

4 Likes

they are in need of some engraved markings about the functions .

1 Like

I agree & I’d personally rather a little guiding info but interestingly I’m getting as many enquires specially for no markings as I am for markings. I guess by offering this, as many varieties as possible can be created.
The key point of whether to include names of the designer or their biz name will definitely have to be discussed with them, I don’t want to give anyone the impression I’m designing a Visible Singals product for example, the Gainbrain is 100% the property of that biz & I only want to offer a different panel finsih or style but only with the blessing of the creator.

1 Like

Nice! I’ve Been dying for a metal laser cutter in my fab lab for years - unfortunately don’t have a spare 30,000- USD sitting around to burn haha. I’ve been using this special acrylic in Thailand for my personal panels, the woven foil threads in cast in Resin by a local workshop. The weaving make me the acrylic stronger thankfully so it’s been without issue. Just want to show it off as it’s pretty special handicraft only type product that’s gorgeous.

4 Likes

That looks fantastic Matt @DaydreamDevices :star_struck:
If people really like them & contact you about them, you should really consider offering them for sale :+1:t3: