ESG3 Sync Issue

Aaaand now the system has been running for a few hours, ESG3 is locking to external sync perfectly. But I didn’t do anything.

Keep it under observation – it’s definitely possible that there could be some glitches while everything is still warming up (a couple minutes after startup). If you feel like there’s an issue with your unit, contact support and we can test it here.

Well, VU009 is fairly simple in the design, sync is extracted using a sync extractor IC, and the resulting pulses are resetting the oscillator, as most analog oscillators designs, whereas DSG3 is a digital core, so it needs to genlock to the external sync signal, in a similar fashion an encoder does to an external video source, which means it may be more picky depending on what’s in the sync chain.

What I meant to say was that VU009 should operate properly even if the sync isn’t terminated (as the sync extractor IC, LMH1980, can handle 0.5Vpp (sync terminated 2 times) to 2Vpp (sync unterminated)), however it may cause issues with the modules upstream in the sync chain, so it is good practice to terminate the last VU009 in your chain. As even if the sync is buffered on DSG3/FKG3, having the output unterminated may yield unexpected behavior. I’ll try to reproduce the sync chain your experiencing issue with and report, in the meantime, make sure the last VU009 is terminated.

Planning on buffered sync for the next modules I’ll make that requires sync, as it makes a lot more sense than having to manually set the termination.

4 Likes

@creatorlars Thanks Lars, I am also going to try changing up the power. Maybe the StarTech power distribution unit is at fault? I didn’t have the budget for the Lite-On version, had to opt for a less expensive Chinese PDU.

@syntonie Thanks Bastien, I appreciate you weighing in with an explanation as to why Gen3 may be more picky with sync. I will put that terminator plug back on, even though it didn’t seem to make any difference in my tests.

1 Like

I’m running into a similar situation. Was the cause and/or fix for the OP’s issue every identified?

I’m running 1080p29.97, the patch takes output from DSG3 and DWO3 into the ESG3.

Here is what I’m seeing.

1. Slight wiggles in the display.
  2. When using Sync In on the back of the ESG, the display will occasionally go blank for a second, then re-sync. I’ve tested this with Sync Input from a VU003B and a BMD Sync Generator. The problem only occurs when using the ESG3 Sync In.

Edit: Here is a link to a video that shows what is happening. https://youtu.be/lDYw5TuefQs
FYI this ESG3 has the firmware update applied for the BMD Analog to SDI issue.

Thanks!

Pete

1 Like

FYI re my previous post, the ESG3 was returned and repaired. All is good now!

3 Likes