DIY options for RGB Encoder and Sync Generator

Hey everybody,
I finally pulled the trigger and ordered some pcbs/panels to get a system started. The two modules I need that I cannot find any available DIY equivalent for are the RGB Encoder and Sync Generator. Laying them out on strip board seems like a recipe for disaster, but not out of the question. Are there any other DIY options I may be missing? Thanks!

syntonie is working on new diy encoder/sync gen iirc - may be rca or 14pin sync - but no real timeline for this

lzx will eventually release new DIY ones - but they’re probably going towards standardising the sync to rca and not 14pin - but again no timeline

the new gen3 ESG - may be your easiest/quickest solution - but no idea if it supports 14pin - there may be an adapter/sync distribution module at some point - again no timeline

once chromagnon is out there may be some visual cortex or gen1 equivalents for sale

used modules do come up for sale from time to time - keep an eye out on facebook, here and the discord

1 Like

What is planned for your starter system? And do you need 14 pin sync for the modules you’re currently building?

I believe Syntonie’s new encoder will offer both options when released (as does their new VCO), but it’s still a work in progress

Given the above, I’d be inclined to plan to buy the ESG3 as a sync gen + encoder solution.
Unless you already have modules that require 14 pin sync, you may be better off jumping head first in to current and future standard of RCA sync.

1 Like

I’m actually in the same boat.

I’m building a video synth for a low budget art project, using the Cadet DIY files & my own designs.
The Sync generator is missing still. (well, we’ll borrow my own one, but eventually it would be better to have a separate one.)

I have pcbs for the Encoder and done a layout for the Sync gen.
The XVCO is near impossible to get. I might have a bid on a batch from Alibaba, but who knows if that is real. (I also mailed 3 other companies that claim to have it in stock, but never got any reply from them)
Then the firmware needs to be loaded, which I tried in the past, and did not succeed.
I do think this could be done, maybe with some help.

I’m planning a medium sized system of primary LZX, Syntonie, Foxing Hour and Visible Signals. It seems like those companies cover all the missing LZX Cadet modules for the most part, minus the Encoder, Input, Sync and Hard Key.

Maybe I could just run the sync V/H through the CV/Gate of the power lines, Then manually run the C and Blank for an encoder? Is there any worry of having those running so close to the power lines? Has anyone tried this?

@Agawell What is the discord channel?

1 Like

it’s an invitation only discussion group on a web site/app called discord - there’s sometimes video chat groups etc

search around on here you’ll find invites - if they’re expired ask for a new one in the same thread

1 Like

Syntonie has an input module, and I’m working on a dual keyer

LZX Cadet sync already passes the H/V sync through the power header (CV/Gate bus) so that works.

3 Likes

Shutter is essentially a triple hard keyer.

3 Likes

The Syntonie module is apparently quite there, hope to see it soon finished. Apparantly it will be a built for more experienced diy builders.

Guess Ill need a Shutter or that dual keyer too!
Will keep my eyes out for the Syntonie output module

Another DIY Question:
Is there a good reason why most of these board supply their own 5V reference instead of using the 5V power line that eurorack can supply? Is this for stability, would too many modules using it be a problem? I’m wondering if I can skip the 5V reference circuits on some modules and just add a stable 5V supply to the power lines and jump it

Most Eurorack 5V buses, particularly switching PSU designs, are far too noisy for video synthesis. You’ll literally see switching noise show up as scrolling diagonal lines or other usually unwanted noise. Since we’re dealing with a smaller amplitude signal as well, you can easily see even small bits of power ripple leaking into your patch.

I’d suggest keeping the 5V regulator sections as-is.

Makes sense, thanks!