Diver Firmware

Is this still Happening? Its a bit frustrating seeing all this new stuff happening while this olde thingy really needs an Update

4 Likes

Lars wrote in this thread that a diver firmware is coming, after tbc2 and chromagnon is ready.

1 Like

I’ve been consumed by the Gen3 firmware architecture (TBC2/Chromagnon/ESG3/DSG3) still. These are rather urgent projects – TBC2 was supposed to ship before Diver in the first place, and without an output encoder we are unable to supply you all with video synthesizers, so while I regret the timelines, those are the priorities. I was hoping to hire another software developer in 2020, but then the pandemic happened.

The plan is still to resolve bug fixes with Diver, Escher Sketch, and whatever else needs it, after the above releases go out the door. I would love to take a break from the current projects and do this for a couple weeks instead, but right now it’s impossible.

13 Likes

I want to see these issues fixed as much as anyone (having three dang divers) but I offer this: In the interim, embrace the flaws! What used to drive me absolutely crazee I now hardly even notice. In fact, I like to point it out to folk in patches - 'look, there’s the single pixel offset!" :rofl:

8 Likes

Yes, I’ve been getting a lot of use from my Diver in ways that don’t expose the glitches. Sometimes I wish I had a second Diver. So I’m still waiting for a firmware update, but I’m very patient.

1 Like

Diver mixed with various things into Aux/Alpha of Memory Palace in Mesh mode is kind of a dream made real. The current warts are less visible when you’re using it as a modulator.

7 Likes

Yes, this year I’ve only used Diver as a modulator. It’s wonderful. The scrolling modes add another level of modulation, of course, increasing the value of this module as a modulator. Modulating the speed of scrolling is another matter.

So all this fun helps obscure the firmware issues.

1 Like

I have to interject here. Diver is useless in its current form, especially in professional use cases. You simply cannot create a stable ramp, and providing animations for a client w that sync blip every couple seconds is embarrassing. Using it for modulation only makes matters worse, affecting other parts of your composition. I’ve bought 3 different Divers and they all have been garbage, for years now. Even people who know nothing about video synthesis ask me why images made with the Diver are flickering. This is not okay.

2 Likes

I agree that if your Diver behaves as you describe, that would be a serious problem. I only have a single Diver, so I have only one data point. All I can say is mine doesn’t do that, but it has two different issues. Both issues become problems when Diver is used for keying. I don’t see how you can mitigate the problem with yours.

So, while I’m getting around my problems with Diver, I’m not saying everyone else can do the same. While I can afford to be patient, I appreciate why you cannot.

It sounds like there’s an issue in your sync chain somewhere; there shouldn’t be a sync blip like that. Now, Diver appears in some cases to be quite sensitive to sync chain issues in general, so that doesn’t mean you’ve connected something the wrong way or that there’s not a different issue. I’m hoping (and think I can) improve sync robustness of the module in general in a software update, however that’s not a guarantee if the issue is related to the sync source itself.

A lot of our sync distribution woes between Mempal, Diver, Vidiot, etc led to our thinking with the current approach to Gen3 modules, where each module has an identical rear sync IO board and genlock circuit.

All that is to say, you may be able to solve your Diver(s) issue with a different approach to sync distribution. And we may also be able to improve it with a software update, such that lock robustness issues are smoothed over.

6 Likes

The assumption for my post was that Diver does sync (also excepting @nerdware’s keying issue). Speaking from three data points and from helping folks sync Divers. I’m not discounting your experience - Diver IS tricky to sync, no matter what your sync chain or revision of Diver. Usually, the solution is to change the entire sync chain arrangement, or even change your sync source. I have the luxury of doing that, having been at this long enough to have multiple generations of sync generators (generating sync signals - made a tongue twister there).

6 Likes

i’ve had 3 Divers (had 2, sold both due to financial difficulties, bought another) and in all cases i was able to resolve any issues by reorganizing sync chain. putting Diver close to front of chain seems best. successful sync with Cadet I, Visual Cortex and Mem Pal were all possible with Diver 1-2 modules distance from sync source. in my current setup i use a Syntonie VU001 for composite sync distribution from Visual Cortex and it works great - Visible Signals Dual Distrib also works in this role.

4 Likes

I have to disagree. Granted my use case is 99% related to visualizing music so diver is a natural pairing but I’ve been able to get some fantastic results especially when keying out certain aspects which often times removes the issue with the blip all together.

3 Likes

Likewise. When I have issues, it’s usually the sync order.

2 Likes

A Diver came up for sale on Reverb a couple days ago and I didn’t buy it because SD. Until it’s certain that the hardware can support 1080i, I won’t be pulling the trigger on Diver. A hybrid SD/HD environment isn’t going to work for me. I’ve built the whole rig to run on one house sync as God intended.

I’m entering two video mixer world so I can keep them all in the show together. V4EX for the SD, and V40HD for the component / hdmi HD (ESG3, Chromagnon, Positronic Recursion Studio, Hypno) and mixing the V4EX output into the final HD mix.

3 Likes

how are those new ramps looking?

Is Diver likely to be re-stocked in 2022?

1 Like

Diver is out of production and will not be restocked.

Damn that’s a shame! Hopefully we’ll see a gen 3 version eventually? I’ll keep an eye out for a used one

2 Likes