Diver discontinuity/seam

I received a Diver in the latest (December 2019) batch which works well, but all ramp patterns show a “seam” running vertically at a constant position, about 3/4 of the way across the screen. It appears with any bank selected and its position is unchanged by any panel controls. It is most obvious for vertical ramps but also visible with H+V or H-V outputs if you’re looking for it.

I see the discontinuity when using Visual Cortex, Cadet II, or Memory Palace as output encoders, with multiple displays. Visual Cortex and Cadet ramps don’t exhibit this behavior.

This is in a Vessel case containing only Orion and Expedition modules, with Visual Cortex generating sync. Visual Cortex rear panel RCA sync goes to Diver, and that’s the end of the sync chain for this test.

Here are some bad photos. First from a 19" consumer CRT TV:

And from the same display, a closeup of one discontinuity:

On the analog display the image also jitters quite a bit, and at these brightness transitions it seems like there is a scanline being “skipped”. I can’t really capture this photographing the analog display, you can see it a bit more clearly with this closeup photo of an LCD I have with a composite input and a less-than-great deinterlacer/upscaler.

Curious if anyone else has encountered this in their setups. My baseless guess is that this behaves more like a firmware issue that what I’m used to seeing with analog sync glitches.

2 Likes

I can confirm experiencing the same behavior with my Diver. Also share your thought that it is something that can/will be addressed in a future firmware update.

2 Likes

Likewise. At first I thought “FPGAs must have less accurate ramping than analog”, but after some tests comparing Diver’s ramps to VC’s I’m confident that’s not the case. So it’s just some sync bug, likely addressable in FPGA code.

I also have ramps not-centered while not scrolling at scroll slider-extremeties. just off-center.
I asked about this, and Lars commented that a firmware update will intend to address it, but that they are quite swamped with many things.
I take that to mean maybe and they’ll give it good try.

I didn’t ask about this tearing issue.
I do have it also though.
If both issues were solved, Diver would go up in usefulness.

On a side note, I’d also love to see the unit boot up in the state it shut down in with all those buttons/modes/UX … no one wants to perform start up rituals to get back to where they were.
Ditto for new all button UX based modules.

For my purposes, if the tearing, centering, and losing-state-on-poweroff things each flip … this unit would become a workhorse, but as is it’s a novelty so far, owing to these quirks.

2 Likes

Mine has same issue with the seam/step. Pretty sure all units do. If you look close in the LZX Diver tutorial video on Youtube the seam is present as well. Hopefully its firmware patchable. One of those I cant un-see even though it doesnt REALLY affect me much in practice

1 Like

My Diver has the same seam issue. When I use X and Y mirroring to get a circle, I get an imperfect circule. It looks like a pair of circles cut in half, not quite down the middle, then stuck together to make a new circle. There may be other issues, too.

While I’m still finding it useful, I’d very much appreciate a fix in a future firmware update.

1 Like

I’m excited to see these diver issues fixed as I initially held off and then started seeing them pop up and haven’t really wanted to “dive” in because of it…

Yeah, I’m usually a late-adopter. I waited for a second batch to hopefully avoid these issues. I only discovered too late that this batch wouldn’t included the new firmware. I prefer it when bugfixes ship before new features.

1 Like

The pixel offset Is fixable per Lars… we probably should ask @creatorlars what’s the preferred venue for issue reporting so that these can all be tracked…

1 Like

This is the best venue for cataloging LZX issues!
It would be ideal if all LZX discussion occurred here.
So much better than Facebook for archiving discussions.

9 Likes

Just picked up my Diver and I confirmed that has the same issue.

2 Likes

Hi @Z0NK0UT, I sent Lars my list of diver issues Via email a while back, let me know if you want me to repost them here as well.

3 Likes

Sure! It would be helpful to have everything in one place.

Her’s my original list of issues/examples as well as some feature requests - Some of these may have been do to my lack of familiarity with the module…

When using bank 8 with PR bars as input to WAV, there are always ‘bars’ about 1/3rd of the way across the screen. If you scroll along ‘x’ these move but wrap back onto the screen. Is there any way to get these to sale so that they are in the blanking area? That would help make much smoother gradients for processing.

Example (password for viewing videos is 'diver’

https://vimeo.com/358720635

**Using a gradient in to H phase (any bank) causes discontinuities in the output (here v goes to FM a PR) **

https://vimeo.com/358725901

Turning on ‘Y’ mirroring with Bank 8 (above examples) causes a lot of 'asynchronous scaliness. (no examples but I can send 'em if you can’t dupe)'

Also, that vertical pixel offset 2/3rds across the screen. I see it’s in Johnny’s demos too.

Future feature requests:

• it would be super handy to have incoming audio and waveforms ‘warp’ gradients, by modifying their function curve (and possible other ways? )

• Ability to Tile and Reflect gradients (looking for other ways to smooth the gradient space before it flips without having edge discontinuity, possibly scrolling around in a larger lecture window (3x3 etc)

• Minimize latency/jitter - going through diver and MP is adding what looks like almost a half second delay (subjectively). It makes the combo unusable with control by a AFD or ST. I know we’ll hit this with more digital modules in the chain.
    *Anti-alias single pixel scrolls - by this I mean calculate surrounding pixels so that very very slow scrolls don’t ‘click’ over one pixel row at a time.

1 Like

Both videos appear to be private. Can anyone else play them or is it just me?

Password for viewing videos is 'diver’

2 Likes

Thanks, I can play them now.

1 Like

Last night while patching with Diver I noticed when I put it through doorway to get a diamond shape or circle shape using the mirrored linear and log ramps, that when I set my threshold up to make a smaller shape, I would sometimes end up with shapes that had corners cut off, so my diamond had kind of blunt square edges and the curved edges of my circle were squaring off as the shape got smaller. After 10 or 15 minutes I got nice pointed corners on my diamond and round circles without any change to my patching. I tried to reproduce the soft corners but couldn’t get it to happen by any means other than waiting and having the issue show up again. I am fairly confident this is not due to a patching error as I was just using the basic technique of feeding the mirrored h+v ramps into Source on Doorway and increasing the gain to get defined edges / using threshold to adjust the size of the shape.

1 Like

I find I can use these defects, but I’d rather work with a module that functions properly. I’ve not yet noticed any change in defects, even during long sessions, but there could be various reasons for this. For example, differences in our modular systems, the patches themselves, etc.

FWIW, I love the moire pattern in your pic. The whole image works for me, on a very basic sensory level. Thanks.

1 Like

7 Likes

Following. Wondering if this will get prioritized considering the delay in chromagnon et al.

1 Like