De-Interlacing Plugins

Hello!
I’ve been using FCP X’s built in de-interlacing for all my work until now.
(My video synthesis portfolio: https://vimeo.com/showcase/6529523)

I’ve been researching alternative higher quality de-interlacing,
tests with these two products free trials look promising and better results.

Curious if anyone has any experience or opinions about this?
Thank you!

3 Likes

Following up, my opinion is the level of control available and results were better with FieldsKit, purchasing later today for a music video that had to be cut in FCP X to use pixel sorting transitions.
License on website looks like it would only work on FCP X, but I confirmed with them that buying it once will also work on Premiere and AE.

I’m planning on testing Resolve’s de-interlacing soon.
For Premiere I learned last night about the Clip > Video Options > Field Options > Flicker Removal menu action and it also has interesting results where you don’t lose the lower field when de-interlacing.
This workflow was recommended for Topaz Machine Learning Upscaling of Interlaced content.
https://topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai/
Neat program for upscaling content, but I doubt the algorithm has been trained for video synthesis. Might test it with some LZX content anyhow.

Curious if anyone else has anything to add to the conversation?

1 Like

So after the cyber Monday sale, I’ve now got the tools to start participating in this conversation. Just running some of my first tests now on some high contrast B&W synthesis with lots of valuable interlacing artifacts … will be interested to see how the results feel. Will report back.

Would gladly accept any help in determining studio tests to attempt. Thanks @Dr_Rek for starting this thread and sharing your information.

2 Likes

Alright, here’s the first three tests as a Vimeo playlist:

Notes:

LZX Visual Cortex component video out to:

Blackmagic Designs Thunderbolt Intensity Shuttle

525i59.94 NTSC

QT Uncompressed 10-bit RGB

Original source video:

NTSC 29.97 fps, 720x486

Interlaced, Bottom Field First

Run Premiere Field Options: Always Deinterlace

Deinterlace video: