Control Voltage in Tachyons+ Gear: Chromagnon, Korg SQ1 Step Sequencer, or MakeNoise Wogglebug?

Hello!

I currently have a Tachyons+ Psycheniser, which has two CV inputs (-5V, +5V) which I would like to make use of.
Logan recommends the MakeNoise Wogglebug ($450AUD) for some wild, crazy signals to animate the gear’s glitch effects.
I saw someone used the Korg S10 step sequencer ($190AUD) with their Psycheniser and achieved what they wanted (I’m assuming a more uniform beat/pulse?).

Now I’m wondering, which of the two should I get? What is a step sequencer and how would it apply to this?

I have a Chromagnon on pre-order also, does that have any CV outputs?

Thanks heaps!
(-:

1 Like

The Wogglebug outputs random voltages at a clocked rate, whereas the sequencer outputs user-defined voltages at a clocked rate.

I would recommend starting with the sequencer because it allows you to program voltage patterns that you can send to both audio and video synthesizers.

3 Likes

The Korg SQ1 is nice because it can send out voltage scaled to an LZX-friendly 0-1V. Also, it’s standalone and battery powered. If you get a Wogglebug, you will have to get a Eurorack case to use it.
Chromagnon will have control voltage inputs and outputs to patch with SQ1 and your Tachyons gear.

4 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

On the Korg website, under the CV Out Voltage it says “1V, 2V, 5V (Oct) 8V (Hz/V)”

The T+ gear operates at a -5, +5 V range so I’m assuming this will be fine, but what does Oct mean in this context?

1 Like

Octave

1v/octave
2v/octave etc

8V(Hz/V) is for buchla synthesizers iirc

normal eurorack audio oscillators track at 1v/oct - each note is represented by a 1/12 of an octave offset from the octave do for example c3 might be 3V, c1 would be 1V, c4 would be 4V - d3 would be 3.1667V etc etc

you may only get +ve values out of sq1

3 Likes

Whoa I just realized that I can sequence within the 1st octave of my sequencer to stay in 0-1v LZX range. Thanks,

6 Likes