Cases / Power / Portability

Im looking into the Befaco JumpSkiff, mostly because of size (98HP, 52mm deep), which will be ideal for Orion.
The topology of the power supply should be fine for video, but it has only 0.6A.
Extra hole to power the fpga with a second brick? Bigger brick?
Anyone experience with it?
VideoFanatic, what you can also do is to get a moog mother case or similar that comes with no power and fit any of the PSU recommended by Lars.

Hello, in the last week Iā€™ve upgraded my main live-performance case from a 6u bento-box with a synthrotek deluxe power w a 5a meanwell supply, which could easily fit castle/cadets, to get this; a enclave 6u w a make noise bus and 4.3a volgen supply. while not a complete upgrade, ive notice zero change-over in terms of power and Ive got more modules in the enclave than on the bento.

however, if yr trying to fit castle/ cadets into a skiff like ive now got, try buying longer screws from yr local hardware store and mount a set of nuts between the bottom of the module and the edge of the rail. depending on the depth, you may need to apply 2-3 nuts. the ramps I have there only uses 1 set of nuts and barely fits in the deepest end of the case, but itā€™s enough space.

what type of Volgen powersupply did you get? (and where did you buy it?) Iā€™m looking for a new one too.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/volgen-america-kaga-electronics-usa/KTPS65-1543DT-3P-VI-C-P1/62-1222-ND/5247775

for the record, that is the power supply that ships w the new make noise steel cv bus cases.

Another case inquiry. I seem to remember that a lot of early LZX systems were housed in Monorocket cases. Is it safe to say their power supplies were generally suitable for video purposes. I do believe they were linear.

Their linear supplies worked great (IIRC, the 6U case had enough power for LZX but 9U case that had the same PSU needed some augmentation.) There was a period when they were using Meanwell supplies that were not so great. Iā€™m not sure whatā€™s being used in them now.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think they are made anymore. Still in search of a good 9u Utility case with sufficient power.

Anyone know how well Trogotronicā€™s power supplies work for video? Theyā€™re pretty high amperage for sure, and they claim to be very clean power, but has anyone tried them out?

Has anyone tried putting the Malekko power in a 3u 104hp case? From the specs there should be enough room, but Iā€™m not quite sure if it will be to tight with cables and all.
Iā€™ll want expand to two rows in the future so it would be nice to invest in a good power supply from the beginning.

3U full of LZX modules would be too much. Malekko Power is suitable for up to 208HP. Budget about +/-10mA per HP for LZX systems.

Have had terrible reports about switching noise from the Trogotronic.

@creatorlars think youā€™re mixing up 3u and 3 rows here

@jkbh - as lars said itā€™s good for 208hp, itā€™ll be fine for 104hp

1 Like

Yes, youā€™re right, I meant 3x 3U rows. So with 104HP rows, thatā€™s 312HP. Recommended you power this with two powered boards supplying at least around 1.5A each.

1 Like

MDLR are using a different power supply now and are no longer offering the Doepfer PSU3 option. I just got off the phone with him and he said the new power supply for the Performer series Pro (Meanwell GSM60A18-P1J with MDLR PWR 45W powered buss boards) is actually less noisy than the Doepfer. Can anybody confirm that this is a good choice for video synthesis?
And what would be a good ā€˜torture testā€™ to check the suitability of a modular case for video?

2 Likes

I see now that with only 1.2A on the -12V rail, like the Doepfer PSU3, it would be a bit light for 208HP anyway :frowning:

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for an acceptable power solution for 2 rows of 42hp of LZX modules. By the old 10mA per HP rule, that works out to just 840mA per rail, I believe. Though based on example configurations Iā€™ve put together in modulargrid, it likely will actually need less than 600mA per rail no matter what configuration of modules I put in, so dipping a little below the 840mA spec should be OK.

Since itā€™s a smaller case, the size matters. The internal measurements are roughly 8.5" (216mm) wide by 10.5" (267mm) tall, which rules out both the Malekko Power and the Zeus Studio Bus. The Doepfer A-100PSU3 technically can fit, but Iā€™m a bit concerned about the space itā€™ll take up (less possible depth for an entire row) and the possible heat itā€™ll generate, given those big heat sinks. Iā€™m making the case myself, so I can make the depth whatever I want, but Iā€™m also hoping to make it as shallow as I can while still housing some Cadets and some Expedition. I think a good size would be one of the power-supply-in-a-module ones which I can make a spot for in the side or back of the case (to save on HP), like a 4ms Row Power or Tip Tip uZeus, but are any of those adequate for video? (Iā€™ve seen mixed comments here about some Row Powersā€¦)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone tried making such a tiny system before? I guess Iā€™ll settle for not-quite-ideal power cleanliness as long as itā€™s not terrible, since it looks so far like that might be my only choice.

PSU modules like Row Power will likely be too noisy for use with a video synth. Maybe the Intelligel 30W PSU will work for you? I have no idea how clean it is but Iā€™d be disappointed if it wasnā€™t an improvement over a power module. Another option might be an external PSU. Maybe a Doepfer in another box?

1 Like

BTW, the Row Power 40 is definitely too noisy for me to use with a video synth. Not recommended at all!

Not sure how clean they are but befaco do very low profile power solutions (excalibus and lunchbox) the lunchbox might fit - Iā€™m intending to build an excalibus as my next power supply and test it - but that probably wonā€™t be early next year sometime - Iā€™d be interested if anyone else has tried these power solutions - are they too noisy?

another possibility would be to house the actual PSU (say the PSU3) in a separate case and run the power to the case/bus board (addac are/were doing this)

1 Like