Cases / Power / Portability

From the schematics, it looks like those two Befaco options use the exact same circuitry, so I’m very interested to know how your Excalibus tests go, even if it’s after I’ve made my case.

made the same experience as @nerdware , im using a row power but its somehow noisy. Not that big problem for me atm because my modular is paired with glitch-hardware but i want to improve that in future… hope the malekko power will be avaiable again soon… or i will go with doepfer

1 Like

Yeah, I made loads of glitchy feedback videos on Row Power. Its less noticable there, and maybe even a little useful, but you don’t have any choice in the matter. You get the noise whether you want it or not. Now I do not want it. YMMV.

1 Like

what power solution do you use now?

My main cabinet is a 12U rack and uses a pair of Malekko PSUs. I’m currently waiting for more to arrive in the UK so I can power a second cabinet. However, I have some LZX modules working well in a Mantis case. When I have the money and the one shop in the UK that sells Vessels gets a new shipment, I can buy one and move the modules from the Mantis to the Vessel.

ok thx, hope i can pickup a Malekko one here in germany soon

1 Like

Hi - I use my Row Power 40 with a LIBB and it’s super clean!

http://www.genusmodu.com/products/libb.html

4 Likes

Does anyone have a visual example of the noise that you’re talking about, from whatever case/power situation? I’m trying to assess how much my LZX setup is afflicted by this. I’ve been using a Make Noise skiff and haven’t had any complaints so far, but maybe I’m just not seeing what you’re seeing.

3 Likes

i will check out the libb, but its also not available here in germany for now :expressionless:

for me its not really noise, more some kind of small edges i would say… the shapes are not 100% smooth, hard to describe…i will make a visual example when i have some time. But i also have trouble with crosstalk between some audio modules

1 Like

attached my kind of noise in closeup

3 Likes

That’s the kind of noise I was seeing on a Row Power 40. Thanks.

Thanks! @trbsnd

I’ve started to notice a similar thing as I’ve been pushing things further (more cross modulation, finer limits; using power from a Make Noise Skiff). I think someone mentioned elsewhere that they notice it most when keying, and as I was listening to one of the Vidicon talks on YouTube, where the fellow from Mystic Circuits mentioned that signal to noise ratio is one of the challenges when designing video instruments. Described that way, the noise thing started to make sense, so I thought it would be good to share here.

Does anyone know, are digital modules (Orion series, etc) effected by background noise in the same way, or to the same degree? Or what about this, if two different power supplies are used (one clean, the other noisy, modules patched together) would the noise only effect part of the signal path, or would it effect all the modules on both power supplies?

1 Like

I’ve mixed modules on clean and dirty PSUs, and my experience is: once a signal becomes dirty, it stays dirty. I’ve now moved all my video modules onto clean power (Malekko and Mantis). So only my non-video modules are on the dirty power now.

I can’t comment on the Orion series as I don’t have any yet. Nor can I comment on Structure, but like you, I’d love to know how well (or not) these modules cope with noisy power.

Hi there,since im newer than the newest newbie, (first post) but does anyone have experience with L1 power supplies? Im planning on a power supply switch in my euro rigs and plan to take a plunge into video synthesis.
Thanks in advance

1 Like

hey ya everyone!

i finally joined the forum after delving into vid noiz quite a bit recently.
:stuck_out_tongue:

i posted elsewhere asking for insight to installing a Memory Palace and was pointed here by @337is.

below is the current design i am formulating on ModularGrid.

looks like i will need to update the powersupply from an Intellijel TPS80W Triple Power Supply - 80W 3U / 6U busboard.

the case i am trying to re-purpose is an old 6U Enclave case and some older modules that i currently have.

in fact…
i have everything except the second Structure and the Memory Palace.

is there anything else anything you guys can see as a potential problem with this design?
(other than the price) :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks for any and all help!

1 Like

Interesting setup, I’m curious what your intended signal flow is like with the second Structure. As far as I know all of Structure’s outputs are composite, are you planning to use each one to drive a different display?

With the Memory Palace I would probably like some more 1V pattern sources or camera inputs. Processing still images is awesome but working with live video input (or both input and stills) is IMO where the Memory Palace really shines. Especially with the alpha input!

2 Likes

all that vid signal will go to a Roland VR-3EX and a BPMC modified Edirol V-8 so i have tons of vid routing capabilities.

i am approaching this with a CV and Gate control kind of focus and not so much with the 1v vid standard.
at least…that is how i am using Structure and the DU NTSC.

lot’s of syncable LFOs and other rhythmic controls moving in time with all of the noiz is what i am really interested in.

lately i have been using a Little Deformer 3 to do all the heavy lifting with it sending synced CC messages and CV control that all moves in perfect time.

my current vid noiz setup consists of Structure in a 4MS 48X pod, Edirol P-10, Korg Entrancer, BPMC V-8, VR-3EX, C&G ETC and three C&G videoscope/rhythmscope thingies.

hmmm…
now you have me rethinking again…
that poor DU-SEQ has been kicked out of three cases now!

thanks for the insight!

here’s a link to a lot of my recent visual noiz…these are all live streams as of late:
ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING - late night noiz for late night fiends

1 Like

I think with outboard video mixing / processing well covered and complex composite sources like Structure, another incredible range of stuff to explore is video feedback. Memory Palace works fantastically in a camera feedback loop. For decoding composite signals the best options would be TBC2 or one of the upcoming Automata series. One or more Cadet IIs could also work, though each of those would also be a mono feed, and would probably be a more complex sync situation.

1 Like

Neat!
Would that upcoming Chromagnon be a good candidate for vid input?

1 Like

Yes, I believe the plan is for Chromagnon and the other upcoming Automata instruments to decode full color composite input. Can’t recall if I read that here or on the LZX Facebook group.

2 Likes