Cases / Power / Portability

for some reference for those who aren’t sure I’ve got a case that is powered via a 4ms black row power, 4ms shrouded bus board and 4ms power brick that is getting some noise

my vessel and vidiot are beautiful and clean but 4ms is leaving something to be desired.

2 Likes

I just checked

cadet and castle modules definitely fit in most of top row and all of bottom row except the very ends

the only issue is that the power cables need space too

I think you’d be ok if it was a few cadet modules spaced out between shallower modules and not a full case of cadet/castle modules

I will try to remember to post again next week… I have a visual cortex on it’s way and will need to move that and at least some of the castle/cadet modules into the mantis when that arrives

1 Like

Thank you! I wound up building a case out of this: https://www.harborfreight.com/4800-weatherproof-protective-case-x-large-64250.html

And a Malekko powered buss board.

2 Likes

cool - have fun!!!

cadet, castle, razzmasynth and??

Wednesdayayay,

You may want to try a solution like the Genus Modu LIBB + EHA to clean up your row power:

http://www.genusmodu.com/products/eha.html
http://www.genusmodu.com/products/libb.html

1 Like

Just a looping envelope, LFO, and three attenuators. Gonna have some BSO in there soon!

Update… i just built a cadet vco last night and it’s a wider board than the other cadet and castle series builds i’d done before…

It just about fits into my bastl marton case… will check the mantis tonight… but doesn’t look good… :frowning: was hoping to put everything that needs synch in the same case …

another update - as suspected the wider boards (vco and synch gen don’t fit in the mantis - they’re a couple of mm too deep

I realize that starting small doesn’t always pay off in the long run (it’s a slippery slope, innit?), but kind of want something reasonably portable to pair with a Vidiot.

Anyone have experience with and/or thoughts about something like the Pulp Logic LBZ54? I can’t 100% parse what they are saying about the power supply there, how clean it will be, etc.

Or other suggestions for small, ultra-portable cases?

I see that the Pittsburgh 420 is no good. Has anyone used the Pittsburgh Modular Structure EP-360 Eurorack Travel Case for their video rigs? Is the power supply the same as the 420? I’m looking for a good 9U travel case with a lid.

Also I just stumbled upon the MDLR 12/104HP portable eurorack modular case “performer series” with 2 Doepfer PSU3s. Any concerns about using that for and all LZX video rig? I guess I’d just have to connect my sync across the two compartments, right?

1 Like

if you look near the top of the thread @creatorlars recommends the PSU3

so yeah you may need to run sync between the two halves

if it’s deep enough (& it is!!! you need 65mm+) then you could do it with a cadet sync gen (plug say vc into in from the other half) there was some talk about a module for syncing different cases - but I guess that’s on the back burner

or you could trail a cable between the 2 cases through a 1hp gap perhaps, or make a custom rca cable going through 2 drilled 2hp panels

or you could just put all modules that require sync in one half and the ones that don’t in the other - if the psu will take them - watch out for the -12v only 1200mV each - which gets used up quickly

I think that if you want a full 6u 104hp LZX rig then you will either need the malekko power system (as used by LZX in their cases) or you probably need 2 psus to cope with the -12V

3 Likes

Ugh, yeah you’re right - the doepher psu 3 is not enough power for 6u 104hp. I love that case though because you can carry it on a plane and leave all those modules patched. Has anyone found something similar that works for LZX? I currently have a 6U 84hp bento box that I put malekko power in, but it’s full and I’m really struggling to find a good portable, carry-on sized upgrade.

1 Like

there was iirc a erica synths 6u portable case (before the current aluminium one) that had over 2 amps for both +/- 12v rails - but no idea if the psu was quiet enough for clean video

if you don’t use stackcables, you could take a look at tendrils - they’re right angle patch cables - which might work for you - and eliminate the need for a deep lid

New Case Question. I know slim Skiffs are all the rage these days but some of the Cadets and Castle modules are kinda deep. Can someone recommend a skiff that is deep enough for these modules and has a sufficient power supply?

well the cadet sync gen and vco are 65 mm deep - that’s pretty deep for a skiff (they won’t fit in a mantis)

you could try mounting the pcbs in the case (there are nice holes at the corners of the PCBs wihc could be used for standoffs) and using wires to the panel or sandwiching a couple behind a larger panel (or a combination of panels and again wire them to the panel - the only issue I see here (and I’ve thought about it) is that with the pcbs at 65mm you need at least 13hp - and allowing for the jacks and pots and the 2 boards you’d get pretty deep

1 Like

Hi there, I am currently thinking about getting a Make Noise 104HP Skiff for a system of Cortex, Polar, Marbles, 4MS Buff x2, Bridge x2, Arch and Shapechanger. Do you think this would be ok to fit in that skiff and to be powered by the Make Noise power supply? Many thanks!

Have you set up your desired modular setup on modular grid?

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modules/home

That way you can get a sense of what sort of power draw the assortment of modules you’re wanting to use will require. It’s not always 100% accurate, so looking at the manuals to verify power requirements is always the best practice. And like @DesertMuseum mentions, the Make Noise power system may not be the best choice for video modules. However, I did use one for awhile and it was passable for my needs at the time. Good luck in your search!

Hi there, thanks so much for the feedback. The Thing is I am looking for a 104HP 3U row with he right kind of power. About £300, anyone know of anything like this that is good for video? Many thanks!