Alpha compositing with Marble Index

Let’s discuss patching techniques for Marble Index, the LZX Expedition series analog alpha compositor module.

3 Likes

Admin note: This question asked by Leslie Rollins on the former LZX Knowledgebase

With all settings set to the defaults as shown in the User Reference Card I’m experiencing behavior that I don’t fully understand. Using hard keyed ramps from Visual Cortex, through two separate Doorway modules, when I input the H ramp into Marble Index Ch. A red input, V ramp into MI Ch. B red input, and red output into Channel A red input on VC, I get this result with the Opacity knobs 1 & 5 each set to the middle position:

Then, with the Opacity knob 1 left in the middle position & Opacity knob 5 turned fully right, I get this result:

It seems like Opacity B takes precedence and removes A completely from view. If I swap the settings and turn knob 1 all the way right and leave knob 5 in the middle, the image doesn’t change from what is shown in the second image. In order to produce a similar effect in Channel A, I need to turn knob 1 all the way right, and knob 5 all the way down. Can someone please explain why it works this way?

1 Like

Marble Index uses Alpha-channel based mixing to create layered composites from three different RGB images (Background, Channel A, and Channel B.) Here are some illustrations that show how this works using similar sources to what you’re doing. If you’re more used to thinking in terms of crossfaders than alpha channels, you can think of Opacity A as a crossfade between the Background and Channel A inputs, and Opacity B as a crossfade between the first fader’s output and Channel B. Another important thing to remember is that with no input, the image for the channel is simply a black/blank screen. The RGB offsets make it easy to dial in a background matte color if applied to the BG inputs only.

7 Likes

Here’s my basic patch for Marble Index exploration:

Marble learning Patch: MI RGB outs to left Cortex RGB In. All cortex controls default per MI Reference Card

Patch Horizontal lines to Red BG, a SHAPE to Red channel A, and Vertical lines to Red channel B (ONLY USE ONE COLOR CHANNEL). All switches off.

Use the Opacity controls to fade between BG/A/B. Return Opacity. Start throwing ONE switch at a time and then turning Opacity controls (and RGB Offsets for corresponding switches) and Opacity A/B and then returning each switch to OFF.

Do this until you have run through ALL the switches.

Repeat systematically until you have a feel for the controls, then try them in combinations. THEN add in other related or dissimilar signals into G and B of each section of MI. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

11 Likes

There’s GOLD in @wiatrob’s hills! The tips he shares above really, really helped me get to grips with Marble Index. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Glad it’s helpful! If anyone has tips to add, please be sure to post 'em!

3 Likes

Still playing and experimenting. Hope to develop some tips and tricks to share.

1 Like

More cross posted info from Facebook on how Marble Index works.

Lars Larsen - Marble Index is more about voltage controlled mixing between sets of RGB inputs. On top of this, Marble Index has a LOT more circuitry related to complex blending modes – so it’s kind of more like an analog computer designed to achieve compositor math typically found in computer graphcis. I’m not sure if anything like it really exists… trying to do something totally new. You can think of Marble Index more like a video mixer, except instead of A/B banks you have 3 layers, and instead of an A/B fade control, you have 2 opacity controls.

Lars Larsen - You can read more about the math behind blending modes here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blend_modes
Most of the modes described on this page can be achieved (with analog circuitry) using different combinations of modes on Marble Index.

Lars Larsen - Likewise, most of the Porter-Duff compositing methodologies are achievable using a pair of Doorway keyers to manipulate alpha channels (which then get passed along to control the Opacity CV inputs on Marble Index.) http://ssp.impulsetrain.com/porterduff.htmlManage

More reading SVG Compositing Specification

Lars Larsen - Marble Index, once available, is really the final piece of “glue” between all of the color mixer/manipulation modules we’ve designed for the system so far, and can function in harmony with Passage, Mapper, Color Chords, Cortex compositor, etc to enable a huge variety of different workflows that have complex hierarchies and full expandability without any “end points.” Cortex is designed to be the system’s primary RGB/color module in under 3U systems, but as systems expand, the color complexity can be relegated to other modules and Cortex then becomes like a final output processor, where it’s easy to do “fade out to black/color” or output effects (like Negative, really handy for external feedback loops)

6 Likes

Yes that would be great. I have generally just cross posted stuff when i noticed a question asked here that had previous had a response on the facebook group but could really do with taking time to mine the facebook group for info thats not available here.

1 Like

One of the reasons FB is not an ideal repository for such info! My only New Years resolution is to be better about checking in here…

5 Likes

Just gonna copy and paste something from FB. Good info here about the opacity VC:

Lars Larsen - “Know your reset position for all the switches and then just get signal passthru going, one channel at a time. Understand how making a key from your source (Polar Fringe or Doorway or just a raw luma channel) works, and then patching it into the Opacity CV inputs to control layer opacity. Remember that using the same source for RGB and Opacity can be a good idea (this is how Color Chords works.) Then, small changes, steady as she goes, as you explore the blending mode options or activating the offsets. Reset the switches between each new thing you try so you don’t get lost. Or, on the other side of things, feed it tons of shapes and waveforms and flip switches randomly until something excites you. It’s designed to work either way!”

7 Likes

Very nice tips here, thanks for sharing!! It makes a huge difference when trying to understand how these things work.

1 Like

More cross posting from the facebook LZX group.

Another good source for Opacity input is the Luma component of a corresponding RGB source. Run it through a Doorway for Luma keyer control. This is why the Cortex input decoder and the memory palace/tbc2 all have Luma out in addition to RGB.

2 Likes

If y’all wanna get deep into some reading material check this book out:

9 Likes

Anyone use the Kindle version of this? I prefer it these days, but sometimes the hard copy is the better buy for formatting, etc. Didn’t see reviews for the Kindle version on Amazon.

1 Like

I have a Safari subscription through my employer and this book is included in the catalog. So far so good, though it doesn’t have most of the content on the included DVD, but probably not a huge deal. But it saves me $50+ or from being a pirate. :wink:

1 Like

Arrrrh! Shiver me timbers!

1 Like

Just going to add another valuable M.I. tip here from FB.

Me: "I have a nice little patch between VC and doorway that I need to know if I can recreate on the Marble Index. Simply one channel on the VC is getting a textured image and I am also feeding the same source into the Doorway. The output (of Doorway) then goes into the Key in on the VC with the Key position up and now the Cross Fader uses the key to “constrain” image if you will.

How can I remove the VC from this patch and just use the Doorway & MI?"

Me Again: " Another basic way of asking this question is: Can a Doorway and Marble Index recreate Patch number 10 (Luma Keying) from the Visual Cortex Basic Patches PDF."

The Double L: “Here’s the patch:
Luma -> Doorway Src
RGB -> Marble Index Channel B
Doorway Key Out -> Marble Index Channel B Opacity
All Marble Index & Doorway switches in home positions (bottom or middle)
Marble Index Opacity B Bias Control -> Fully CCW
Marble Index Opacity B Attenuverter -> Fully CW”

4 Likes