Is there a full color keyer other than the VC?

Is there a way to key a full color image with anything other than the visual cortex? The key can be b&w but I want the channel it’s keying to be full color. As in I know I can plug a black and white shape into the key of the visual cortex and it will add or subtract from channel B which is full color. Is there any way else to do this in the LZX environment?

1 Like

marble index works well for this

2 Likes

I’m not sure if that’s capable of doing what I’m talking about. Basically let’s say I have a black-and-white image on one patch, and then a full color image on the other patch, and I want the full color image to only be visible where the first image is black (or alternately white if I choose). Can the marble index do that? The YouTube video doesn’t really look like it. It looks like you can just add one on top of the other but not key them out.

1 Like

Doorway can generate a key signal, then Marble Index can use it to process.

2 Likes

so you are wanting to do something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icVRkEx_7aI is this the video you are talking about?
the very first patch shows how one color video is composited over another using a key into the opacity input

as said above or shown in the video you can use a doorway
I have been using a polar fringe and topogram to help shape the key

3 Likes

I see, I was misunderstanding that first patch the first time I watched it. Yes that is what I mean. Is the marble index the only thing that could do that? I wish there was something like a doorway module which accepted full color.

1 Like

You could feed the key into the crossfader control inputs on 3 Bridge modules, then feed your foreground and background signals into the A and B inputs on each crossfader.

2 Likes

Are the key inputs on the visual cortex and/or the marble index capable of soft keying or are they hard edge keys? As in could I take something that I keyed with the doorway and which has blurry edges, and plug that in to the opacity or key in on the Vc/mi and it would work? Or would the edges be hard?

1 Like

[REDACTED] Thanks, Sean.

1 Like

Not quite accurate.

Both Cortex and Marble Index can accept either hard or soft key channels generated externally (VC input on Cortex; Opacity VC on Marble Index).

Cortex can, additionally, generate a hard key itself from any single channel source (Key input).

5 Likes

Or three Doorways! Using foreground and background.

Also Lars is talking about a new Visionary II module that will be for this purpose.

In the meantime, I’ve been snapping up Bridges until I have three for a compositing function since I don’t use Cortex.

2 Likes

Bridge can also generate your keys using +5 to “clip” the image. Johnny Woods demonstrates in Bridge 3 Patches, stack three and you’ve got a full color compositor.

3 Likes

Just want to clarify this because I purchased a visual cortex and misunderstood what you were saying. I assumed the visual cortex key input would allow me to input the output of the doorways soft key but that is not the case, the key is still hard.

3 Likes

To get a soft key, route the signal from Doorway into the “VC” input on Visual Cortex (this is alternatively labeled “Composite” on some Cortexes). This is the voltage control of the mixer.

Composite mode switch should be at its center position.

7 Likes

Oh my god how did I not know this? I was under the impression this was VC for modulating between different mixing modes, wow I completely misunderstood lol

7 Likes

Its panel placement doesn’t exactly make this intuitive, for sure.

5 Likes