Patching Visual Cortex

Hello –
I had an amazing first day with a few LZX modules, including the VC and Bridge. Crazy fun. Just a few follow-up questions before I continue to explore:

1. The Key Generator primary input and output jacks (G and H on the manual)…I’m not sure how to use them. I enjoyed timing the key generator to audio modules with the trigger input, but don’t understand how to properly use these other inputs and outputs.
  2. The “colourize” input — when would you use this? Not sure how to make the most of it.
  3. Is there another LZX module that allows for CV control of the RGB offset knobs?
    Thank you!
    JB
2 Likes

you could use passage
take your normal RGB inputs and plug them into the THRU inputs (1-3) of the passage then plug your CV source(s) into the IN inputs
that allows for per channel wiggling on top of your video signal
(warning this will make you want some LFOs)

try sending the colorize input luma out from visual cortex

Ramps from VC into colorize should work too

depending on the CV level going into colorize you will get a different color

try sending only one input to a RED channel (A or B) on the visual cortex
and also using the colorize input so you can really see the color
make sure that the corresponding colorize switch is turned UP if you are using this input
if you are not using it make sure that the switch is DOWN

try putting ramp C or D into the input (G) of the key generator
flip the key +/off/- switch to either + or -
put some kind of image into one of the channels of the visual cortex
then use the slider (A) to control the mixing results

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqXYhY7FbfJ/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqXaPR7l0p-/

you can also make a key and take the output (H) and use it somewhere else. H is normaled to the composite input (C) right below it if you plug something into either the H or C jacks the normaled connection is broken. You could use your key in the colorizer or as a color video source or for modulation in a larger system. This would still allow for you to input something else into the composite (C) input to blend between channel A and B depending on your switch settings

also without anything plugged into the G input you can still use the H output as an LFO when in cycle mode or as a controllable (via the fader) static CV source
this could get fun if you sent it to the mult of bridge and then did various different processes on one of those outputs and then combined them back together with the visual cortex
ie using your H output as the CV input for the fader or in the mixer section

7 Likes

What an amazing reply! Thank you so much for your generosity.
Question about Passage…in my first explorations I used regular audio VCAs to mix in CVs. Is Passage specifically designed for video signal CVing, and if so, is it naturally better suited than garden variety audio VCAs?

2 Likes

Passage will give you video bandwidth mixing, attenuation and offsets. You can still feed it from audio bandwidth VCAs, but they won’t handle your video signals well, if at all. For video rate signals, you really need a VCA with video bandwidth, like the fader on the Bridge. (Brownshoesonly has at least 2 such modules.)

For audio rate and lower frequency (animation rate) signals, you can use regular Eurorack modules. That’s why I have modules like the RYO Ampmix and Sputnik CV Processor in my rack. I can also use them to mangle video rate signals, but I don’t usually do that. I prefer to use them for audio and animation rate signals so I can save the more expensive video modules for tasks that require video bandwidth.

4 Likes

no problem!
yes passage works all the way up to video rate

that doesn’t mean audio specific VCAs are shit though

here you can see 4 channels of video coming through the planar and it doesn’t look awful just blurry and soft

here is the same patch using video grip (brownshoesonly module)
obviously there is more detail here as this was meant for video rather than audio/CV

just remember using audio rate VCAs will more than likely have an almost lowpass effect in that you get softer video with some blurring. Some will probably barely work at all and some may work better than expected.

2 Likes

Thanks so much again!
I don’t think I’m using Bridge properly for video VCA purposes. I’d like to CV some ramps from the Cortex with audio LFOs. Can I use Bridge for this at all?
Jim

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the kind of effect I use my Eurorack audio/CV modules for. Most of them generate CVs, but a few have VCAs. No audio filters. Even the few modules that generate audio are mainly to drive modules like Sensory Translator. Why else would they be in my video synth? :grin: Even an active attenuator can process video signals if you like the additional filtering effect.

Nice demo, BTW. Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, definitely! You should try using an audio VCA on ramps, too. I’ve even used a passive ‘or’ module (Intelligel Or) on video signals. I can use Arch now, so the Or can be used for more regular CV/logic duties (esp since I now have more gate signals for it to process). Being passive, it has advantages and disadvantes. There’s a voltage drop of 0.7 volts, for a start. Arch doesn’t have that problem. However, I’m likely to attentuate a signal anyway, so it kind of helps. Its also a dual module and very small (2hp).

Anyway, that has little to do with your question. It’s just another module I can use to process ramps etc. You never know when a module like that will be useful in a patch.

2 Likes